cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chaning line from a different provider, and changing the name,

Timalay
Grafter

Chaning line from a different provider, and changing the name,

May seem a bit of a strange one here, but here we go.  
As it currently stands my parents pay for the phone line (through BT), and I pay for the Broadband (with yourselves).  After another high bill with BT, my parents are looking at saving money, I had a look at your packages, and it looks like we could save money.  How would we go about changing from BT (in my parents name), and adding it onto my broadband (all under my name).
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Chaning line from a different provider, and changing the name,

If the bill with BT is sky high it could well be the same with Plusnet if they are on the same package
Have you checked why the costs are so high
Regarding the move - I think that will need staff involvement as it sounds like a difficult one. As I understand it changing the account holder on BT involves a resupply which will cancel the broadband so that isn't an option
ScottStorey
Pro
Fixes: 1

Its should actually be a straightforward one to get the phone moved over to us and in your name.
You would just need to go through the product change on your account on the website.
Its treated just as anyone taking over an active phone line.
Timalay
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
If the bill with BT is sky high it could well be the same with Plusnet if they are on the same package
Have you checked why the costs are so high
Regarding the move - I think that will need staff involvement as it sounds like a difficult one. As I understand it changing the account holder on BT involves a resupply which will cancel the broadband so that isn't an option

Well I compared what my parents were paying for BT (with line rental), and compared it to Plusnet.  Even if I went for unlimited calls, it would be cheaper a month compared to Plusnet.
KK
Grafter

Quote from Timalay - How would we go about changing from BT (in my parents name), and adding it onto my broadband (all under my name)
I'm slightly surprised to learn that it is possible to have BroadBand in a different name from the name on the associated LandLine
Timalay
Grafter

Plusnet have always seemed fine about it.  
Nearly always had it that way.   With my old ISP my folks originally paid for broadband, but times were hard, they where looking at ways of saving money, and seeing as I was the main user of the broadband.  I started paying for it.  
KK
Grafter

Are you sure that the two services are registered to different names?  Both BT and Plusnet will be happy to take money from anyone, and it doesn't have to be the person whose name is registered as the user of the service.
Timalay
Grafter

Yes, it's my name on the Plusnet bill each month.