QuantumGuy
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Changing to Broadband only and no phone

I will also post back when it happens 😀

bgiles
Rising Star

Correction to my previous post and attachment, it looks like the NB Test Head (Evo TAM) remains connected to the copper pair, but I haven't a clue what that is.

Does anybody know what a 'NB Test Head' is?

Plusnet SoGEA
DrayTek Vigor2762 VoIP Router
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,603

As far as I'm aware, no engineering work is involved when a service is regraded from FTTC to SoGEA. The change can happen at any point up to midnight on the day the order's due to complete.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 86

@bgiles 

Thanks for the attachment

TAM - Test Access Matrix. A device to test problems in a DSL and POTS system. It can do a look in and a look out test to determine problems in the system.

Does anybody know what a 'NB Test Head' is?

I suspect this is used to check the copper connection from the FTTC cab to the End User for breaks and hopefully high resistant joints. 

QuantumGuy
Grafter

4pm and still got a dial tone!

(But I note above it can happen anytime up until midnight)

bgiles
Rising Star

@QuantumGuy 

I guess we have to be patient, as @Gandalf said, it could be as late as midnight.

Plusnet SoGEA
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

and you MAY still get a dial tone after the phone service is ceased. Often Openreach don't actually disconnect the line at the exchange, they merely change it to a 'stopped' line. In this case you'll still get a dial tone but can't actually make calls ( apart from maybe the test number 17070 )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

QuantumGuy
Grafter

I can at the moment still dial the number and the phone rings 

bgiles
Rising Star

UPDATE

Sometime in the past hour the switch was completed for me, without me knowing it had happened, I was even streaming at the time.

• There was NO downtime to my broadband connection, the router didn't even disconnect/reconnect.
  • DECT phones that were on the PSTN did NOT indicate 'Check Line', as would happen if the cord was unplugged, but there's now no dial tone.
  • Analogue phone that was on PSTN is now dead, including the 'Amplify' indicator, which presumably was fed from the 50V PSTN.
  • Dialling the old landline number returns an engaged tone.

All in all, a painless experience.

Plusnet SoGEA
QuantumGuy
Grafter

Exactly the same for me - sometime in the last hour without me realising it. No downtime and now no dial tone

Batfrog
Aspiring Pro

I’m a few months to my contract end so obviously looking at options.

One question I’ve not seen (unless I’ve missed it) is can I have SoGEA  even though FTTP is the only option shown on the Plusnet website for my area.

You might think that is an odd thing to want but aside from the untidy external ‘wiring’ in evidence around here the internal location for an ONT, which I understand also needs a nearby power socket would be difficult and disruptive.

My modem/router is connected to an extension socket some distance from the master socket. Yes, yes I know it’s supposed to be plugged into the master socket but I still get 72mbs and no issues. I don't need or want anything faster.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 268

@Batfrog Can you post the result of BT Broadband  - obscuring your phone number, please?

John
Batfrog
Aspiring Pro

See attached for line details. It looks as though I can Have SoGEA 

Thanks

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 268

According to that SoGEA FTTC is available. You are aware there is no phone service with this product?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

The exchange is shown as 'Fibre priority' , therefore if FTTP is available at the address ( and it is! ) then only FTTP can be ordered.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.