cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my phone number

clairesdog
Grafter

Changing my phone number

I'm just wondering in all reality how straight forward it is to change my telephone number.
I have the home phone anytime package, and months ago I posted about getting unwanted called for a particular person who does not live here (it was a previously allocated number, so I presume this is the person it was allocated to!)
I had a call barring facility added to the number so i can block them as they call, but it does not block the  international numbers that call asking for him, plus after about 3 months they all start again and I have to reblock them. I get at least 6 calls each day asking for this particular gentleman.
we are ex directory but it makes no difference.
My husband works shifts and is constantly being woken by these calls, we have explained loads of times but they don't care and keep phoning.  I can't turn the ringer off as I need to be on call sometimes.
I seem to remember a final option being given that we could change our phone number to a previously unallocated one if necessary...  I can't think of what else we can do.
Just wondered how easy it was to do.
21 REPLIES 21
magnetism2772
Grafter

Re: Changing my phone number

just telephone the company that you have your telephone account with and say you want
a  new phone number. I think its free but just ask when you cal them
Steve
Seasoned Pro

You say you have the home phone anytime package... Is that with Plusnet? If It Is changing your number Is not free and cost's around £35 Ish
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I would have thought that as Clair is using Home Phone anytime, she is with P{lus Net.
I think somebody else has had that done recently
Steve beat me to it
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Here's a link from when I made the same enquiry with a price at the time see here...http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,79845.0.html
Truecall Is expensive but might pay Itself for future problems, See here...http://www.truecall.co.uk/
magnetism2772
Grafter

I would  off thought truecall would need to know what numbers  to bar
and if the callers numbers are not known
ie by adding 141 in front of   the OP number
then its nothing but a call bar machine and would not stop most of the calls

I had a free number change when with BT
I called the operator  saying I was receiving unwanted  calls

BUT the OP must realize that by changing the number  that line 'no longer exists'
and family and friends would not be able to contact them
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: giro
I would  off thought truecall would need to know what numbers  to bar
and if the callers numbers are not known
ie by adding 141 in front of   the OP number
then its nothing but a call bar machine and would not stop most of the calls
Did you bother reading what Truecall does via my link?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

does he ever?
magnetism2772
Grafter

yes! I did
and while I was doing that I  checked out a few reviews on it
here is just one :
Looks useful, but the zap list feature is a bit weak. It will deal with phone spam from big names who are honest enough to give a display number, but it won't deal with spammers and scammers who hide behind number withheld or who change numbers.
magnetism2772
Grafter

I'll leave you pair to  argue it out amongst yourselves
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Your some character giro I give you that, Have you any bright Ideas to give to the OP? ( thought not )
magnetism2772
Grafter

bah!
I dont think you should advertise such expensive gimmicks on here to  other  people to buy

I suggest the OP start with a phone call to Plusnet or the Operator and tell either or both  of them
that their receiving nuisance calls

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I was not advertising, Simply giving out advice, Nuisance calls as such would require informing the police and then getting a REF number which then MAY resolve In getting a number change for free, But who am I to say, Sorry your thread has turned out this way OP.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: giro
yes! I did
and while I was doing that I  checked out a few reviews on it
here is just one :
Looks useful, but the zap list feature is a bit weak. It will deal with phone spam from big names who are honest enough to give a display number, but it won't deal with spammers and scammers who hide behind number withheld or who change numbers.

Try reading the facts instead of miss-informed reviews:
How trueCall handles calls when the caller has withheld their number

Until recently most call centres withheld their Caller-IDs, but there are now legal and self regulatory requirements that mean that most UK call centres now pass on their Caller-IDs.
trueCall helps you decide how to handle a call by telling you if the caller has withheld their number. When the caller’s whisper is announced trueCall will say “You have a call from … Bob … Callers number withheld”. If you don’t recognise Bobs name or voice you may choose to send him to trueCall’s integrated answering machine, and screen his call through trueCall’s speaker so you can decide whether to pick up or not.
While you can’t put someone who has withheld their number onto your Star or Zap list, you can still Zap them – trueCall will tell them that you are not interested in their call, and ask them not to call you again.
Optionally you can turn on trueCall’s ‘Anonymous caller reject’ facility. This will reject any caller who withholds their number with the message
“You have withheld your calling number so I cannot connect you”
Callers will then have to unblock their number and ring back.
Many people are mistrustful of callers who withhold their numbers. Anonymous Caller Reject is very effective at blocking malicious calls, but be aware that it may also block calls that you do want to receive. Certainly, malicious callers always withhold their numbers, but many ordinary people also do this to protect their own privacy when they make calls. Doctors, hospitals, the Police, government organisations and many companies routinely withhold their numbers (and it may not be possible for them to unblock their numbers and call you back).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
clairesdog
Grafter

Thanks for the replies...
Sorry  I should have been a bit clearer, I am with Plusnet on their talk anytime package.
I understand that if I change my number the old one will fail to exist, but I will notify all friends and family of the new number.  The minor hassle of having to inform everyone of my new number would be greatly outweighed by not have debt recovery agencies and all manner of other people phoning all day to speak to Mr Bevan!!!

So to go ahead my next step would be to raise a ticket and wait Huh .......