cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing landline number

John36
Hooked

Changing landline number

I am 80 years old and changed to Plusnet on Monday.  I didn't know that my landline telephone number had been changed until a friend tried to call me and had difficulty getting hold of me.  I hadn't been told when I applied to join Plusnet that my number would be changed from the one I had had for 50 years, I was furious.  Hospitals, doctors and many other important people have my landline number. I rang Plusnet who told me that I could have my old number back in 24-48 hours.  I then got a text from Plusnet informing me of my new telephone number.  I rang Plusnet again and was told that it would be 12-14 days before I got it back.  That's 3 Agents I've dealt with.  The first one didn't inform me when I was joining Plusnet that my number would be changed, the second one that it would be 24-48 hours and the third one that it will be 12-14 days.  I'm beginning to think that I have made a big mistake joining Plusnet.  I want my old landline number back. 

12 REPLIES 12
Pluscom4
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Re: Changing landline number

Hi @John36 

I've had the same problem and posted to the community about it here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/Keeping-losing-my-phone-number/m-p/1797050

It might be worth a read - it worked out in the end!

John36
Hooked

Hi pluscom4

This is all above my head, I don't even know how to work my way around Plusnet Community.  I looked at the 'post' you suggested and some of it looks promising others not.  Who is Gandolf, what is a 'ticket', I feel completely lost with it all.  I only use my mobile if I ever need it for emergencies, all my communication with friends is on the landline and as I am in lockdown feel completely isolated.  I need to complain to Plusnet but they go round and round on the phone and don't tell the truth.  My real complaint is that I wasn't told about this when I was enquiring to change to them from my previous supplier.  I'd been with TalkTalk for years but they were getting very difficult to deal with, hence the change.  I'll see if I get my old number back on the 5th April, which they promised, if not I don't know what to do then. 

Pluscom4
Hooked

Your experience is very similar to my own...

The ticketing system is where problems are raised by you and/or customer services and can be tracked through your online account. You and they can write messages and follow the progress of the issue. Unfortunately (for me at least0 I couldn't access this feature until my service was activated.

@Gandalf is a member of staff, who can hopefully give you some reassurance that your number is safe - I know exactly what it feels like to worry about losing a number you've had for decades.

John36
Hooked

Hi,

Sorry to be such a pain but I can't find anywhere in my on-line account that I can write messages to customer services or Gandalf.  Am I just not seeing it. I've been sitting looking at my on-line account for ages and am at a loss.

Pluscom4
Hooked

Hi,

Looks like I gave you a bum steer!

I think I was able to access that part of the system because I had an active issue open. Now that it has been closed, I can no longer see those tickets or add a new one. I was a Plusnet customer in the past and assumed it still worked the same way, but it doesn't.. (ps. Your messages here in the community pages are seen by staff).

Help Assistant

We're sorry, but you can no longer ask a question through the Help Assistant.

We've made it quicker and easier to get the answers online for all the topics listed below.

John36
Hooked

Thanks so much Pluscom4 for trying to help but it's becoming a nightmare for me as I suspect it is for many older users.  The message from Help Assistant is nonsense.  I've been with Plusnet for a week and there is nothing that is quick or easy.  It would be easy if I could speak to somebody who could help me and tell me the truth about why they have taken my number without telling me and when I will get it back.  I have a text from them saying that Outreach say I can have my old number back on the 5th April, I hope so because my phone hasn't rung since I joined as people don't know my number and, as I've said, I am isolating, but thank you once again Pluscom4 for trying to help. 

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Hopefully @Gandalf or another staff member can help you out @John36 

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
BadWolf24
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 10

Hi @John36. I'm sorry to read about the issues with your orders. I've checked and can see that we are waiting for the number to be released from quarantine so that it can be made available to go back on your line. There is a ticket on your account which will be picked up on 05/04 where we will then attempt to re-add this to your line. We can't work do anything until the number is out of quarantine however we will be in touch once it's free and we'll contact you regarding this. Apologies once again for the issue here. Chris - Leeds.

Chris Fitzsimmons
 Plusnet Help Team
John36
Hooked

I am furious about this.  As previously mentioned I am an 80 year old lady who has been isolating for a year and my means of communication with friends of a similar age is by landline phone, we don't use mobiles.  When I rang Plusnet before switching from my previous supplier I asked numerous questions to make sure that I was doing the right thing, one of which was whether I could keep the same e-mail address, I was told that I could.  I was not told that I couldn't keep my landline number, I found out accidentally because a friend rang me and my number wasn't taking calls.  Fortunately, she had my daughter's phone number and could get my mobile number from her.  My daughter didn't know I had a new landline number, neither did I at that point.  As mentioned, I was first told that it would take 24-48 hours to get my number back, then 12-14 days.  You then sent a text to say that I would get my number back on the 5th April.  You have now stated in your last text to me  'that you will attempt to get my number back' on the 5th April.  If I do not get my number back on the 5th April I will make a complaint to Offcom.  I believe, bearing in mind it was obvious from all the questions I was asking orginally to make sure I was happy before switching suppliers, that the fact that I would loose the landline number was deliberately kept from me in order for me to change my supplier to Plusnet.  I am dealing with this on my own as I am not able to have anyone in the house at the moment to help and it is extremely stressful.

HarleyQuinzel
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hello,

Thank you for getting in touch, I am truly sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced.

We are awaiting the telephone number to be released from quarantine, to enable us to place your renumber order.

This is due to be made available to us on the 05/04/21. Please rest assured, we are monitoring your account and will contact you on this date with a further update. 

I have also responded to your query via a support ticket on the account.

You can review and respond to this support ticket here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=212755315

- Beth from Sheffield

Bethany
 Plusnet Help Team
John36
Hooked

Beth,

How do I get to see your response via a support ticket, I don't know how to do that.  I have gone onto the 'link' you suggested but it says it can't access my 'ticket' and I don't seem to be able to respond to your e-mail in the normal way. I don't know what it all means and I am getting more and more stressed.  How was I to know that it was normal procedure to change numbers when you changed suppliers when I wasn't told and how could I request I kept my old number if I wasn't given the option.  Everyone I speak to on the telephone is very nice but we are going round and round in circles and I refer you to my last post, nothing has changed.

HarleyQuinzel
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hello,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I am sorry you have been unable to access the link, please log into the member centre before clicking on the link here:

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=212744315

This should allow you to view the ticket via the member centre and send any responses back to us.

I have also updated the response on this support ticket above to further answer your query.

- Beth

Bethany
 Plusnet Help Team