cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Landline number... is it easy with PN?

G0FHM
Grafter

Changing Landline number... is it easy with PN?

Hi all,
We have a need to change our landline number.....
Basically, it's my partners ex, who is the father of her 14 year old who is causing problems. Nothing malicious (yet), but it's affecting junior, and numerous requests for him to "rack off" have gone unheeded.
Anyway, the need arose a couple of years go when we were with a different provider, and basically we got passed from pillar to post, with the provider saying that we needed to get in touch with BT, and BT saying the opposite, and in the end we just gave up, as neither party wanted to do anything (although techincally, it was the provider's responsibility to arrange... BT just leased them the copper pair).
Anyway, things are beginning to get out of hand again, and this time, the missus wants the number changing, and changing pretty quickly.
Has anyone had experience of having to do this with Plus before now? and if so, was it relatively painless?
Answers on a postcard please!!
James
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Changing Landline number... is it easy with PN?

An alternative might be to get called Id turned on and then get a box that will block calls from particular numbers, and if an unidentified number require the caller to identify themselves. http://www.truecall.co.uk/
This has the advantage that if the ex found out the new number you are not in the same situation again.
How trueCall handles calls from numbers it doesn’t recognise
trueCall lets a call from a friend or family member straight through if their number is on your Star list, and will block a call from an unwelcome caller if their number is on your Zap list, but what does it do if it doesn’t recognise the caller’s number or if the caller’s number is not available?
trueCall’s Whisper feature intercepts every call from a number it doesn’t recognise before your phone rings. It plays your personal greeting (for example, “Hi, you’ve got through to the Smiths”) then asks the caller to say their name (“Please say your name after the tone” or your own personal Whisper announcement).
Your caller will say their name - “It’s Katie”. If the caller says nothing – if this is a silent call - then trueCall rejects the call without ringing your phone.
trueCall now rings your phone, and when you pick up trueCall will say:-
“You have a call from … it’s Katie - Press 1 to accept the call, hash to Zap the caller, or just hang up to ask the caller to leave a message. Press star to accept the call and Star the caller”.
You can choose how you want to deal with the call:-
   * If you are happy to take Katie’s call then press 1 on your telephone keypad. This will put her through to you.
   * If Katie is someone who you are always happy to hear from, you can press the Star key on your phone. This will put Katie onto your Star list (if her number is available) and will then put her through.
   * If you don’t want to speak to Katie and don’t want to hear from her again you can press the hash key on your phone to Zap him - this plays her a polite message:-

I’m afraid that we’re not interested in your call – please hang up now and don’t call us again”.
If Katie is a cold caller then her company is legally obliged to not cold call you again. If Katie’s Caller-ID is available, this also puts her onto your Zap list (most telemarketing companies pass on their Caller-ID as this is now a legal requirement for call centres that use predictive dialling equipment).
If you’re not sure whether you want to speak to Katie or not, or you are just busy at the moment you can hang up your phone. This will send Katie to trueCall’s integrated answering machine – if you like, you can listen to her leaving her message through trueCall’s speaker. If you decide that you do want to speak to her you simply pickup your phone again.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
G0FHM
Grafter

Hi Jelv,
He'd get through, even with a box.... we have caller ID now, and he keeps trying to "work around" it by calling from many different numbers as it is.... he must have umpteen dozen SIM cards! and he usually does it when he knows that we are unlikely to be home, and Junior is going to be. We cant expect him to not answer the phone, as he has a plethora of mates, that ring from all different numbers (some of them change SIM cards like you wouldnt believe, especially if their chosen "squeeze of the week" happens to be on a different network!)!
There is little chance of "Dickweed" getting hold of  the new number, as he is 100 odd miles away, and has no common contacts in that area with us. All "our" family are wise to him, and any attempts to get hold of it, by fair or foul means will not work!
I've read elsewhere on the forum that there is a charge of £38.80 to change the number.... that seems a bit steep, but so be it if needs be. The poor kid is screwed up enough as it is from his earlier years with this idiot, without "el planko" causing more hassle for us to deal with. If we ring the Police, and get them crimed as nuisance calls, would the change be free? as I believe it used to be back in the old days with BT. He has been asked on a few occasions to C&D with the calls.
Cheers,
James
Mand
Grafter

Hi James,
We can arrange a renumber for you, however you're correct with the cost of this. This is the cost that BT Openreach charge us for a renumber, we simply pass that on.
From what you've said, I'd suggest a renumber, ex-directory listing, and permanent number withheld (which makes it harder for anyone else to get your number as it doesn't show on outbound calls).
kad23

I'm in a similar situation and also wish to change my phone number.  How do I go about doing this as I can't seem to find any information about it, apart from the cost.