cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Landline from BT to Plusnet

chartford
Grafter

Changing Landline from BT to Plusnet

Hello there - I have been with Plusnet for a while now on the Fibre offering and am really pleased so far with the service provided.  Therefore I am now considering moving my landline from BT to Plusnet as well.  To be honest, the main reason for this is that I attempted to ring BT on a query concerning a letter from them the other day and was faced with a dreadful "voice recognition" answering system that sent me all over the place for 20 minutes, round in circles, and finally took me to somebody who hadn't a clue what I was asking about!  So, Plusnet here I come, in the hope that real people actually answer the telephone …..
Anyway the point of this post is to ask how long it generally takes from date of order to migrate a landline from BT to Plusnet, and will there be any downtime in my fibre internet connection?  I know BT own Plusnet so I'm guessing that this migration shouldn't be an overly complicated procedure and that I should keep the same landline number?
Thanks for any information on the process involved.
Caroline
21 REPLIES 21
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Changing Landline from BT to Plusnet

Hi Caroline - it takes 10 working days so 2 calendar weeks. There should be no downtime Smiley
chartford
Grafter

Thanks Ben.  That's great!  I just need to check when my Line Rental Saver runs out with BT - it's sometime early March - and then I will order the migration from BT to Plusnet.  Can I order Caller Display at the same time, or is that done later?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If you find out when your line rental is paid until, you should be able to order from Plusnet with a request that they have it transferred over as soon as possible after that date.  You can order caller display when you order the line but do check it's working after the transfer as BT (wholesale / openreach) sometimes manage to de-activate this during transfers even when ordered 'like for like' - this issue affects all CPs using BT lines - it doesn't happen all the time but I know of a few instances.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chartford
Grafter

Fantastic - many thanks indeed.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can order any call features that you like when you place the order - there are tick-boxes for them, we opt you in to voicemail (it's free) but you need to opt in to anything else.
kabads
Grafter

I switched my phone over about October last year - it was very smooth - I went for the up front line rental as it is even cheaper than BTs. Haven't looked back since.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Ben
we opt you in to voicemail (it's free)

Is there an option to opt out of voicemail at the time of ordering for those that have an answer phone?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@jelv
Yes, just un-tick the box as you go through the order journey.
chartford
Grafter

Me again!
I've just ordered my Home Phone service to be added to my current unlimited fibre broadband.  I did this online through the Member Centre.  However I couldn't see anywhere to order Caller Display (which I currently have through BT) and also the Line Saver Rental.  Do these things have to be added after the Home Phone service is activated, or can they be added now?
Also, I don't want the free voicemail as I prefer to use my own answer phone.
Thank you.
I've raised a support ticket for this (82165520) but I'm thinking I will get a quicker answer here!  I've received an automatic email from Plusnet giving the date of transfer of line from BT to Plusnet as 17 March.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If the order's in-flight, it's best to wait for it to complete before adding LRS & removing call features.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi chartford,
I have updated Ticket: 82165520 for you and escalated this to the relevant team to action the phone feature requests. We look forward to welcoming you for phone on the 17th! Smiley
chartford
Grafter

Thank you Ben and Linn - that's great!
KK
Grafter

Caroline/Chartford - have you checked out what call packages are available with LRS?  And have you checked out PN's call charges for calls which are not included in a package?
chartford
Grafter

Thanks KK - yes, it's fine for my purposes I think. I have Line Rental Saver through BT at the moment on the lowest possible package.  I'm not really swapping to save money or to get inclusive calls, but to avoid BT's dreadful voice recognition answering system if you ring them up about anything.  It simply doesn't work for me and trying to cancel Total Care with them the other week was the final straw.  It was like swimming through treacle!  I've always had great CS through Plusnet for fibre broadband so I'm happy to give them a try with the landline too.
I've checked call costs etc on this page - correct?
http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/tariffs/