cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cessation Charge

Bojangles
Grafter

Cessation Charge

I have just ordered the Home Phone Evenings and Weekend product and have noticed that my cessation charge of £20.00 has been 'Activated'
The 'What's this?' http://portal.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtml page states that the fee is applied if amongst other things:
"You are moving to a different supplier for a telephone service (e.g. cable operator)"
Whereas the 'Cessation FAQ' http://portal.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges_faq.shtmlstates:
"This fee only applies if we place a broadband "cease order". This would only ever happen if you completely cancel the broadband service from your telephone line."
Now these two pages seem to be giving mixed messages. Am I correct in thinking that I will be still be using a BT line and that Plusnet are owned by BT? In which case why does the charge apply?
I was unable to find any information during the Home Phone signup of this particular charge. Have I just missed it? If not I would hope that this information would be included.
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: Cessation Charge

Hi there,
The cessation charge applies only to the cessation of a broadband circuit.  It's not described in the Home Phone section as it does not relate to the telephone service as such unless the Phone service were to be cancelled (ie: not transferred) as this also instigates a broadband cease.
I hope this clears things up!
itsme
Grafter

So it is still £20 after the reduction in VAT?
James
Grafter

Yes.  The deferred items have remained the same.
Bojangles
Grafter

So as my phone service is being transfered do I not pay the cessation charge?
James
Grafter

As long as it is not being transferred to an unbundled service, the charge would not be applied.
Basically, as long as a PSTN cease order is not placed.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The more I read about this issue, the more of a concern it gets, but this is probably not the thread to continue the issue.
James
Grafter

More than happy to have a chat about it if you have the time, Chris Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Thanks James, I need to do a bit more research, then I'll PM you first.