cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot bar mobile numbers dial led from landline

malcs

Cannot bar mobile numbers dial led from landline

So this has always annoyed me, and not sure if the position has changed, but I am not allowed to bar, mobile numbers (all or specific) from being dialled from my landline. You know the scenario, someone in the family loses their phone in the house, calls their mobile from the landline to make it ring, x times, and get charged £0.29 for each call, even if its only for 1 second!  Or someone in the family forgets that dialing  mobile numbers from the landline is expensive. Other providers (e.g old Orange) used to be able to bar specific mobile numbers. BT  can block all mobile calls, but it also blocks national calls as well. (Not sure if this is correct, but found it on google). So why don't Plusnet realise we need the flexibility to pay for what we want, not pay for services we don't want. If its a technical restriction e.g. imposed by BT at the local exchange, raise it with OfCom, and force them to change this money making practice.

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Cannot bar mobile numbers dial led from landline

welcome to the forum Smiley

call barring isn't available to PN customers, there have been several requests for it though.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I think this is a limitation of the BT Wholesale product that Plusnet use.

Another option may be to use a phone that incorporates this feature, for example (I'm sure others with this feature must be available but they're not too easy to find): http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/D6052B_05/cordless-phone

Thanks to call barring you can avoid expensive phone bill surprises by blocking calls to specific numbers, numbers starting with certain digits (for example pay-per-call numbers) or specific area codes.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
malcs

yes like to know the real reason why Plusnet can't offer this service. This link for BT wholesale line rental charges (if plusnest do use this) costs just 24p a quarter. 

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=CUj0C0LBt0eQQ...

I have emailed OfCom as well, and see what they say. Its a money making loophole that needs to be stopped.

Thanks, if I do upgrade my landline phone (more likely to get rid of it completely though!), I'll look for a phone that has this option

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi Malcs,

It's something I'll feed back, but unfortunately I don't think we'll be offering call barring anytime soon.

I think this is a limitation of the BT Wholesale product that Plusnet use.

I think it's actually a commercial decision.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
malcs

It was raised 4 years ago ... just found the old thread. Nothing done about it though.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Phone/Call-Barring-Blocking-Mobile-Phone-Calls-from-landline/td-p/8692...