cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you set number or rings before answer phone service cuts in?

kyber
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Can you set number or rings before answer phone service cuts in?

Subject says it all really. Switched from BT to PN for phone (and Broadband) and answer messages that were going to our own TrueCall call filtering and answer phone device have ended up on the service voice mail instead because of fewer rings before PN service answerphone cuts in.
The service answer phone is handy for those times when our line is already busy, but generally we want our own answerphone to cut in before the service answerphone when our line is not busy.
Thus, I would prefer to change the number of rings rather than go without the service answerphone (and certainly do not want to pay extra).
10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Can you set number or rings before answer phone service cuts in?

Yes, one of our call features called "Voicemail Extra" allows you to do this: http://www.plus.net/support/phone/call_features.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: kyber
....and certainly do not want to pay extra

Voicemail Extra is £3/month.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

...and certainly do not want to pay extra

Missed that bit, your phone might have an appropriate option for that but that will only affect your phone's native voicemail rather than our system.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
alanf
Aspiring Pro

It would be the Truecall delay time that would need to be adjusted not the phone's.
kyber
Rising Star

The Truecall delay is set just as we like it. The problem is PN cutting in sooner than BT. I am certainly not paying extra for a service that is merely a backup device. Clearly I have to turn off the PN answer phone service. Irritating.
kyber
Rising Star

I am unable to turn off voicemail because another service is pending activation. That other services is already active and has been for some weeks but still shows as pending. I have raised a ticket in the pending status before and that was supposed to have been resolved. That other service is for Caller Display (which I am being charged 99p for despite clear written agreement from PN before  i agreed to compete a switch from BT). I am more irritated now.
The_10th
Grafter

Is the basic (free) 1571 voicemail with Plusnet configurable in any way for the number of rings or time to ring for and if so what are the choices? If not what is the number of rings or time the phone will ring for before 1571 picks up?
Thanks
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Non-configurable with basic 1571 - it's fixed at seven rings.  Sad
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm puzzled as to why the OP said it worked with BT and not PN - I would have expected the number of rings on 1571 to be the same on both.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

BT Answer 1571 seems to have some of the features of VoiceMail Extra and is free http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8374/c/345,350,1084
However it would appear that the only feature with configurable rings is Call Minder http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8431/c/345,350,1084 which you pay for
This comparison seems to cover it http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/Call-Minder-Vs-BT-Answer-1571/td-p/296071
Hi and welcome
BT Answer 1571 you could not originally have your own announcement, only changed in the last 2 years.
On both you can link with your mobile to tell you when someone has left a message.
Below is a list of things that Call minder does that BTA1571 does not.
Call minder you can change the amount of rings before it kicks in, .
Call Minder you can remotely access your messages,
Call Minder can give you the phone number of someone who chose not to leave a message.