Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't contact Plusnet!!

FIXED
bobmaccor
Fixes: 1

Can't contact Plusnet!!

I wish to report an apparent fault on my telephone landline, being that I cannot get a dial tone and callers cannot call in. I have carried out all the normal checks, inclusive of using the Plusnet Line Checker, which reports a result that is "inconclusive".This will be the second time in the last few days that the line has malfunctioned in this manner but I have no way to contact Plusnet!

1. I cannot telephone Plusnet on the landline because the landline has no dial tone.

2. I cannot contact Plusnet via my mobile telephone because I cannot get a mobile signal in my location (hence the landline).

3. I cannot contact Plusnet via the Plusnet Chat facility as it does not work. I am "told" that this is because my browser is blocking ads (which it is not, but why should that matter anyway?).

4. I cannot email Plusnet because Plusnet does not have an email address that responds. Emails to the Plusnet billing address simply bounce back (unsurprisingly), as do emails sent  to their previous support address.

5. Their is no apparent methodology for raising a "ticket" from within my Plusnet Account.

Plusnet make a big deal in their advertising about "doing their customers proud" - well, not in this case. It is good that Plusnet have a telephone contact number, but they also need an email methodology or a ticket system (as they used to have). In the meantime, I have no telephone service (again) and no way of reporting that fact to Plusnet!!!!!

Extremely annoyed!

7 REPLIES 7
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Can't contact Plusnet!!

CHAT will work by disabling your browser pop up, but they'll be out of office currently.
You only need to disable for the PN Domain; the CHAT pop up windows can then function.
bobmaccor

Fix

Thanks Gel. Was able to "chat" this morning. Helpful, but not of any real practical help. Plusnet were unable to detect any fault on the line despite the fact that a fault was self evident if anyone tried to call my number, which they eventually tried after some prompting from me. They then did try to book an engineer to visit the premises at which point it became obvious that that there was a recognised problem as Openreach would not allow Plusnet to book an engineer. The problem then resolved, "mid-chat" at which point I lost the connection with the chat agent but was immediately connected with another chat agent who then asked for some more characters from my password (different chracters this time. Tut. Tut.) which I declined to provide. Given that one needs to log in, in order to use chat, I fail to understand why Plusnet asks for any of that information again. Interesting to note that in the Plusnet "follow-up", a presented option is to "Raise a Ticket". Can't say that I could find any obvious means of doing that. In any event, problem appears to have been resolved by independent action by Openreach. Can't say that I am particularly impressed by Plusnet in this instance. Trying - but could do better.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @bobmacoor,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I am sorry to hear were having an issue with getting through to our Support teams over live chat and the phone. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused.

As you've confirmed the line issue has now been rectified, however, if you have any further issues please do get back in contact.

Thank you.

bobmaccor

Hello Mads.

Since you ask, there remain some unanswered questions.

1. Why does the Plusnet line check return an "OK" verdict when there is an obvious problem when trying to place a telephone call and when, as subsequently proven by subsequent events, Openreach are obviously aware of a problem.

2. Why do the "Chat" support staff not conduct a "call check" on their own initiative without having to be prompted to do so by the customer?

3. Why is "Opening a Ticket" an option on your subsequent survey when there does not appear to be any obvious means of opening a ticket?

4.Why do the "Chat" staff ask for characters from the customer password when the password has already been used in order to login to use "Chat"? This supposed security check serves no practical purpose.

5. Why, when the "Chat" is disconnected from one "Chat Agent" but immediately taken up by an alternative "Chat Agent", is there no continuity of text from the first to the second in order to avoid repetition of what has gone before (inclusive of a second request for [different] characters from the customer password?

I would also offer the following comment.

6. Requesting a "repeat" of different characters from a customer's password is a common scam. Whereas I imagine that Plusnet's practice in this regard is innocent, it is nonetheless bad practice and should be avoided. The customer's password has already been used to access "Chat" and should not require any form of repetition for so called (and unnecessary) security purposes.

7. This is the second consecutive weekend that I have had no telephone service (four days in all [do I get a rebate?]); hopefully, whatever problem existed has now been adequately rectified by Openreach.

Regards

bobmaccor

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @bobmacoor,

Thanks for getting back to us.

1. The BT Wholesale line test software isn’t infallible. It will usually detect an external fault, but like any software, cannot account for all eventualities – hence why engineers are often tasked to explore issues in more depth. 

2. Our chat agents (or any technical agent) would not be able to pre-empt a phone issue, but should be running a line test as soon as they are made aware that a phone fault exists. My apologies if this did not happen when you contacted us – I’ll ensure this is fed back.

3. Tickets can still be opened but for a limited number of issues (such as High Level Complaints) – we have streamlined this in favour of faster contact routes such as our social media platform to negate protracted response times.

4. Anyone who accessed the chat facility via a shared device, or a device that was subsequently left unattended would be open to a significant security risk if this was not process. This is the same with any of our contact channels. Some shared PC’s “store” usernames and passwords – without additional security, anyone logging onto that device would be able to chat as if they were you. 

5. See above. Asking for the same characters every time would allow anyone to either watch you type these once, or, access one message, once and be able to clear security forever. Randomising which characters are required is an industry standard to prevent this from happening. It is much more difficult for someone to obtain all of your password characters in this fashion. 

6.   I certainly hope that this is the case. We’ll investigate your downtime and provide a refund accordingly. You can view the ticket on your account in regards to this here.

I trust this answers your query, however, if there is anything else we can help with please let us know.

bobmaccor

Hello Mads.

Thank you for your reply and answers to questions.

With regard to points 4 and 5, I take your point but I disagree with your assessment of risk. Asking for additional characters encourages people to accept this as the norm and consequently increases the risk of falling future victim to a trickster or a dishonest employee. You might recall that a recent television advertisement has served to warn against just such an eventuality. My point was primarily that I was asked twice for characters, each time for a different sequence.

I have viewed the ticket on my account and will respond to that directly.

Thanks for your help.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @bobmaccor,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I've replied to you via the ticket here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team