Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Ring in to Home Phone

FIXED
mag
Grafter

Can't Ring in to Home Phone

When someone dials into my landline phone they hear it ring once, then their call is cut off. I don't hear it ring at my end at all.

(Until recently it was ringing twice at my end before cutting off - so if I was quick I could get to it!)

I can dial out OK.

I've tried plugging a different (corded) phone in and got the same result.

The internet is working.

Could someone please check the line out for me?

Many Thanks

Dave

30 REPLIES 30
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Can't Ring in to Home Phone

@mag Easiest way to sort this is by running your own automatic test - see HERE .

John
mag
Grafter

Thanks for that link John.

I've run through everything that's relevant.

I don't have a master socket as such (I think it's the age of the installation - pre 1980). I have a circular box on the external wall (ie outside the house) with a BT line in from underground and two phone lines out - one to a socket with the phone in it and one to a socket with the router connected. Both of these are marked with the old Telecom T.

The corded phone still wouldn't ring in either socket with everything else (including filters) disconnected.

The troubleshooter result is:

'Our checks indicate that there's a fault within your premises. This may be caused by your phone equipment or internal wiring.'

I suppose that is possible especially given the age of it all - but the fact that it has deteriorated gradually  - used to be fine, then it would only ring two or three times, now it doesn't ring at all might suggest otherwise to someone who understands? (not me!).

I'll raise a ticket

Dave

jab1
Legend

If you could post pictures to explain that, Dave, it may be easier to advise. One of the internal sockets must be a master, though - that's how they've been connected for many, many years - even pre-1980.

John
mag
Grafter

Thanks for getting back.

Here are the pictures (taken last time I had a fault).

A is the box outside the house with the line in from underground and two lines from it going into the house (I forgot it was switched to rectangular after a previous fault)

B is the socket that the phone is connected to

C is the socket that the router is connected to

D is the internal wiring of B

E is the internal wiring of C

Hope that makes sense

Dave

jab1
Legend

The strangest set-up I've ever seen. 'B' is, I think, the 'master socket' - but both of them are 'extension' types.

I'll tag @198kHz  and @MisterW and see if they have any thoughts. It's a bit out of my knowledge zone.

John
mag
Grafter

Thanks John.

If Gandalf or any of the other staff can help the ticket I've raised is 211435651

Thanks

Dave

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi there @mag,

Thanks for raising that, I'm,sorry to hear of the issue.

I've tried running a fault check on your phoneline however it is reporting that the test cannot be run as there is a call in progress.

Can you please confirm if the line is clear? I'll pick up the ticket tomorrow first thing however you can also call us on 0800 432 0200 if you need to run this past us this evening. We're open until 8 pm. You can of course also comment via the ticket itself.

Thanks - LF

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

The strangest set-up I've ever seen. 'B' is, I think, the 'master socket' - but both of them are 'extension' types.

@jab1 Not that strange. Typical of that era of wiring when putting in an extension.

You're right 'B' is the Master. The grey box on the wall is an external junction box used with underground wiring. The cable exiting from the top is probably the original wire and goes to the master. The cable leaving from the left was almost certainly added later to wire up the extension. Since there's no NTE5 master socket , the extension has just been spurred off at the junction box. It was all done before broadband was even thought of and whilst it worked fine for telephones , its not good for broadband.

I think the only way to proceed would be to raise a phone fault, BT Openreach should then come in and regularise the wiring to, and replace, the master socket. Problem is that they will almost certainly disconnect the extension in the process and its not their responsibility to reconnect it. In order to reconnect it, new wiring would be needed from the extension socket to the new master socket faceplate.

I suspect the lack of ring and/or call in progress could well be the master socket having developed a fault.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Thanks @MisterW . Thought it might have been something like that, but as I didn't think they did much underground to the premises back then, I got a bit confuddled. I'm still wondering why the OP hasn't got an internal master socket with the test socket though. My, admittedly overhead from the DP, installation was done before that and has always had a test socket in the back box.

John
mag
Grafter

Sorry LF the line was in use - that was us ringing out - which does work.

It's clear now, and we'll use the mobile until I hear back that you've run the test.

Thanks

Dave

mag
Grafter

Thanks for that MisterW.

Assuming I can connect both the router and the phone to a new Master socket the extension probably shouldn't be a major loss. I'd just have to use wifi rather than direct cable for a while (until I install a longer cable from router to laptop).

Dave

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1  ours built 1977 has underground cabling and was very similar to @mag s wiring when we moved in. An extension in an upstairs bedroom/study spurred off at the junction box. After my master socket magically moved itself , I regularised it by rewiring the extension to the master socket faceplate

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW Ah, OK so in some areas the BT network is all underground. I suspect that will become the preferred method, especially for 'new-build' areas, but I know the infrastructure in Sheffield is pole mounted, although this may be different on newer builds - might have a walk up to what I know is a newish (couple of years old) greenfield estate and look.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1 I always thought underground had been the norm for new build developments for some time - based on ours, probably the mid 70's