Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I port in a number from Vonage?

FIXED
gdgreen
Hooked

Can I port in a number from Vonage?

I have a Vonage account to which I ported my long-standing landline number a long time ago. I no longer need a second line, so I want to close my Vonage account, but I want to keep the Vonage number. Can anyone (CS rep or customer who has done it) tell me if I can port this number in, to replace my Plusnet number? (Vonage say it is possible from their end.)

The Vonage number was originally a BT number. If I enter it into the signup page, as if I was porting it in as part of setting up a new account with Plusnet, it says I can keep the number, so I assume this indicates I could port the number in to an existing account as well?

The signup box says I'll need an engineer visit, which costs £49. I assume this is because the number is currently VOIP, so the signup is assuming that I don't have a BT socket already. As I do in fact have a live BT socket and I just want to port the number in, am I right to assume no engineer is needed?

If I can port the number in, is there a charge for this?

8 REPLIES 8
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Can I port in a number from Vonage?

Fix

As long as the number remains active, it should be possible to port that to us renumbering your Plusnet line in the process. We’d charge a one off fee of £36.63 for this. 

The installation charge of £49.99 only applies to activating a physical phone line if you don’t already have a Plusnet or working line. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
gdgreen
Hooked

Thanks, that seems clear. I asked because one of your colleagues ([CSA Removed]) told me the opposite yesterday using the chat facility. She said you can only port a number in from Vonage if you are setting up a new Plusnet account and I was convinced she was wrong so I checked here. (Perhaps some internal education is needed?)

In fact, I don't yet have a Plusnet account. I phrased my query as if I do have an account because I wanted to keep my query as simple as possible. What I was planning to do, until [CSA Removed] told me it is impossible, is transfer my broadband/line rental in (from SSE) first and once that is active, port in my Vonage number. Each step is then much simpler, so less likely to go wrong. And if I set up my Plusnet account using the Vonage number from the start I would need an engineer visit, which I don't want because of Covid and because it is pointless since I already have a BT socket. Porting Vonage separately is also a little cheaper than the installation charge.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

gdgreen
Hooked

Oh, I should check: how do I arrange to port the number in (once I've got the account set up)? Do I fill in a form or do I just call support and request the port?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Porting your number shouldn’t trigger an installation charge. I suspect that while you’ve got a BT socket we’d still need to arrange an engineer to connect the line up at the exchange either through a visit or solely external work.

If you start the signup process without entering your landline number, does it ask for an installation charge or an appointment?

Also it’s worth noting that even if you had a BT line in the past an installation fee may still apply as stopped lines can be re-used by an engineer for a different order to, for example, connect up another property on the same exchange. 

In effect it’s generally quicker, cheaper and easier to port a number at the time of a providing a service than it is to renumber a line after.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
gdgreen
Hooked

Thanks. The Vonage number has been in continuous use by me since created by BT 22 years ago. It has never been stopped. I have always had a BT socket active and it is currently providing my SSE line.

In my case, surely it isn't cheaper to port the Vonage number at the time of providing the service, because that will cost me £49 (engineer cost), whereas if I port it in later it will just cost £36?

If I start a sign up using the SSE number, it does not ask for an appointment or an installation charge. If I do it with the Vonage number it tells me there will be a £49 charge. If I do it with just the postcode it says:

We've found a working phone line at your address

Did you know you had a phone line? Our checks show that you have.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for the detail.

Odd, if we can import the number when installing a new line, we should be able to import the number while taking over your SSE line. 

If you can drop me a PM next week as a reminder I’ll be happy to take a closer look when I’m back in the office. 

gdgreen
Hooked

That would be very helpful. Will do.

By the way, sorry I didn't realise I shouldn't name CS staff. I just assumed that if someone is telling customers the wrong thing it would be helpful to know their name so they can be corrected.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No problem and thanks for the feedback. Naming forum staff is OK but for non-forum staff, it may be worth taking it privately if needed.