cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I move my BT number to an active Plusnet line - House move

milgo
Hooked

Can I move my BT number to an active Plusnet line - House move

I am moving house and would like to take my landline number with me.

The house that I am moving from, BT supply phone and broadband.  The house that I am moving to, Plusnet supply the phone and broadband - Both accounts are in my name and are mid-contract.  I understand that I will need to cancel the BT contract and pay any early termination charges but is it possible to move/keep/transfer my number to the Plusnet line?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Can I move my BT number to an active Plusnet line - House move

@milgo I think this is not a common request and I expect Plusnet will say it can't be done.

The first question is are the two houses connected to the same telephone exchange or at least have the same area code. If not then there is no way it can be done. Phone numbers relate to geographical areas so change if you move to another area code.

The only way to find out is to talk to Plusnet but it will be difficult to achieve what you want.

milgo
Hooked

Yes, same exchange.

Can a number be parked? On a Voip service for example?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

as @RealAleMadrid says, getting the number transferred from  BT to an active PlusNet account is going to be tricky!. I believe its technically possible but its very complicated, got lots of potential to go wrong and I dont think its something that PlusNet will attempt.

Your best bet would be to transfer the BT number to voip, that's easy!. You just request the number to be ported by the voip supplier. The number must be active, so dont cancel the BT line. The porting will automatically cease the BT line and with it, the broadband. Most voip suppliers will want to charge a £10-15 porting fee and a monthly fee to provide the incoming number and voip service. Sipgate (https://www.sipgate.co.uk/) will provide a basic account free, but charge a £30 fee for the number port.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@milgo wrote:

...is it possible to move/keep/transfer my number to the Plusnet line?

Technically it's a piece of cake - administratively it's a nightmare, and as @MisterW suggests, there's so much potential for failure and frustration.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

In theory once the BT line and number is ceased, you should be able to ask Plusnet to renumber the line for £36.63, if your BT number was originally made on the same exchange that your Plusnet line is from. 

VOIP may be a better plan though