cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I go back to go back to my old telephone exchange?

confident
Rising Star

Can I go back to go back to my old telephone exchange?

Ok, bear with me, this is complicated, but I hope it will make sense eventually.

We are in what is classified as a country area, but have 3 local exchanges respectively 6, 4.5 and 4.6 miles away.

Pre 2006 we had a phone line from the Omagh exchange (6 miles away) but despite BT taking orders for broadband, each time an engineer came out they just said, nope, no way, it won't work. After 1½ years I finally lost the head and wrote a blistering email to the then head of BT. After 4 weeks, 3 senior engineers, 3 new telephone poles to extend existing a line from the Dromore exchange (4.5 miles away) and yea, 4 of us on the road got changed phone numbers AND Broadband. Luckily the lines from the other exchange were just at the bottom of the road, so they brought them up to the pole outside our house, which now has lines coming from 2 different directions and 2 different exchanges.

Our maximum broadband speed is 1.4Mb (yes, I do mean Mbps), it has been that speed since 2006. We cannot get fibre; the problem is the 3.5miles of copper cable from the FTTC cabinet we are presently connected to and there are no plans to put in a closer cabinet all I can get is "we are looking into alternative solutions". Sad

However, they have recently installed a new FTTC cabinet about a mile away in the other direction which carries the Omagh lines, and are taking orders for super fast from house further away from this cabinet than we are. 

Does all that make sense? Undecided

Sooooooooooooooooo, what I want to know is can Plusnet get me switched back to the Omagh exchange (there are lines still on the pole outside our home) and therefore get me super-fast BB? (Actually any improvement on the 1.4 Mb would help even if not super fast).

Any help, suggestions would be very gratefully received.

2 REPLIES 2
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Can I go back to go back to my old telephone exchange?

Unfortunately it's not possible for us to do that I'm afraid as it would most likely involve having to cease your current line then install a new one.

It may be worth contacting your local MP or the Superfast website for your area to see what options are available.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
confident
Rising Star

Re: Can I go back to go back to my old telephone exchange?

Thanks for the reply Matthew,  but did you actually read the post? There are no options as Bt say I can't get faster BB, so I'm stuck with their "we are investigating other options" with our present Dromore line. The old Omagh lines are still there, going to the same pole, yes I would need a new number, and my package would need to be moved to that, but when they connected  the new line in 2006 it took an engineer just a couple of minutes at the top of one pole. All he did was disconnect the old one and connect the new one, they are on the same pole!