cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can 05603-numbers still be called from Plusnet telephones?

FIXED
tfc2
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Can 05603-numbers still be called from Plusnet telephones?

It seems that TalkTalk have 'disappeared' these numbers with excuses like "They have never existed", "they are international numbers", and asking "are they Domestic Landline, or Domestic business?". Whatever! A TalkTalk user cannot call these numbers.

I wondered if this was an industry wide "disappearing act" or is it just the usual TalkTalk poor service?

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Can 05603-numbers still be called from Plusnet telephones?

This http://www.area-codes.org.uk/05.php may give you more information. I seem to recall my sister had an 05xxx number at one time when she was with BT, but why I don't know.

They are horrendously rare these days, and I admit prior to checking that link, I thought they had been discontinued.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@jab1 wrote:

... I seem to recall my sister had an 05xxx number at one time when she was with BT, but why I don't know.

056 numbers used to be allocated by BT (and probably others) for their VoIP services @jab1 

I don't know how they stand now, but I can remember they used to cost more to call than standard geographical numbers, which is why I've always avoided calling them - automatically, by blocking them in my VoIP dialling rules.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

The old BT Fon used to use these numbers - they never did catch on though..

jab1
Legend

Ah, now you mention it @RobPN , I kind of remember - it was a long time ago, sister was (still is) a technophobe, and she was conned into taking the option when she split from her OH. If memory serves, I had a bit of fun getting BT to remove the option and repay her for mis-selling.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I was with BT for home phone and broadband they issued me with a 056 number as well as my normal landline number

To use the 056 number a phone had to be connected into the router and if I remember correctly if another 056 was called via the internet connection it was free only used it to call one friend who also was with BT and had a 056 number

It never caught on and BT changed it to another number which looked like a normal landline but was slightly out of normal area  so I had two landlines

HD

jab1
Legend

Cheers, @Anonymous . Don't think my sister actually used the 056xx facility, and I know I never called it, because as @RobPN said, it was not in any call plan, was expensive and as you say, needed a phone connected to a PC.

John
tfc2
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Fix

Thank you everyone for your contribution and your reminiscences. It is a bit unusual, I will grant you.

I have managed to find the answer, which is YES.

I found a contact who had a Plusnet phone line They called the 05603-number and it worked perfectly.

So 'null points' to TalkTalk, awarded especially for their hopeless support! Full marks to Plusnet for maintaining the service!

Thanks again for your help.