cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls to 123 I didn't make

Jax
Dabbler

Calls to 123 I didn't make

I have just had advance notice of my next bill and it was £1 more than expected. Investigation shows two calls to the Speaking clock yesterday as follows:
Date of call Number called Time of call Duration Included mins  Cost
27/10/2015      123                12:19:22    00:01:00          no            £0.50
27/10/2015      123                11:54:52    00:01:00          no            £0.50
TOTAL:  £1.00
I did NOT make those calls (trying to get my 2 year old to eat lunch at the time), but at that time there was an M.J. Quinn Engineers ("Working on behalf of Open Reach" on his van - I have a photo) up the pole out side my house. My FTTC also cut out around that time according to the router logs.
He was not working on my line but I'm guessing he did something and wanted to check he'd not broken the line. Either way I'm not impressed and hope to avoid the extra charge. I know £1 isn't much in the scheme of things, but it's pretty annoying nonetheless.
Could a PlusNet Rep please adjust the bill downwards?
Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Calls to 123 I didn't make

On this occasion I'll get this refunded as soon as I can, however if it happens again moving forward we'll need to do a little more investigation in to it.
I'll need to wait for the payment to clear and then once I've seen that it's cleared I'll get the refund issued.
I've said this before on a similar thread, but I really do not understand why engineers would use 123, surely they must know it's a chargeable call Angry
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Jax
Dabbler

Thanks Harry, for the rapid reply. The money is due to leave my account on the 2nd November, so I'll look for the refund some time after that.
Cheers again.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries, I'll make sure you're notified via the ticket on your account when I issue the refund.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: HarryB
On this occasion I'll get this refunded as soon as I can

Interesting wording - Could translate as "I'll believe you this time..." 
It would be very interesting to know how many calls to 123 are made and not disputed ie were knowingly made by a customer.  It seems, in this age of MSF clocks, smart phones and NTP servers, highly unlikely that anyone would actually call 123 and I would have thought that calling statistics would bear this out. 
Adrian Kennard (from AAISP) is on the warpath again about this on behalf of his customers by the way:
http://www.revk.uk/2015/11/fraudulent-calls-to-123.html

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It's not so much that I believe you this time, I have believed customers when they have said they have been in for an engineer visit, only to be proven wrong by photographic evidence in the past. It's more along the lines of, if it continues to happen to the same customer regularly, then further investigation is required.
As I'm sure you can appreciate we can't just refund all calls to a certain number every time, however as a one off for a small amount (Especially when it's something like 123 calls, that we all know aren't always genuine) I don't see it to be a problem.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet