Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling Features

Graham21
Grafter

Calling Features

Hi again, more ad hoc research.
Is there a calling feature that you would like to have which we currently do not offer?
Is there a calling feature which you would use if it were cheaper / better / free?
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this.
Graham
68 REPLIES 68
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Calling Features

The only missing feature for me is 'Free caller display'!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

RJM
Rising Star

I was surprised that "Caller ID" was not free of charge when I recently joined Plusnet , maybe in the future
this could be a standard feature with no charge.
picbits
Rising Star

Agree with the above - the caller ID fee almost put me off signing up as BT offer it as part of the line rental.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Agree about the free Caller ID. I do feel it should be an included facility.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Surely we're all being ripped off big time with the charges for Call Features.
As a BT engineer, I remember going to an internal presentation on System X, the digital exchange of the future. All the Star Services, as they were then known, would transform the way we used the phone  - this was a revolution, a Golden Dawn, the Saviour of Mankind. OK, not the last one, but you get the picture. Funny, there was no mention of each facility costing a substantial proportion of the basic line rertal.
And indeed, why should there be. These facilities were integral to the way the exchange worked - no additional programming or jumpering.
Anyway, we are where we are, and I presume that Openreach, or whoever, are charging PN for Call Features, and PN can choose to absorb or pass on the cost.
Quote from: Graham21
Is there a calling feature which you would use if it were cheaper / better / free?

I currently pay, begrudgingly, for Voicemail Extra (£3 per month! Plus 10p per text! Shocked :'() and Caller Display. I wouldn't pay for any more Call Features, but I would use Call Waiting if it was free.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

As Jim pointed out my thread earlier. I want CALLER ID FREE. (As do 49 out of 51 respondents in that poll)
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: 4C
Surely we're all being ripped off big time with the charges for Call Features.

I know when we had this conversation with BE over their pricing for extras on their phone service, they stated that BT charged them around £1 a month for the caller ID so they had to pass the cost on.
How true or not this is I don't know but (thankfully) that stopped me switching my line over to them as it made BT slightly cheaper overall to stay with.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Graham21
Is there a calling feature that you would like to have which we currently do not offer?

How about call filtering that can be configured online (within the Member Centre).
This should include -
1)  A 'whitelist' of numbers that will always be accepted
2)  A 'blacklist' of number that will always be rejected
3)  Tickboxes to allow/disallow call types without caller ID, selections for 'WITHHELD', 'INTERNATIONAL' etc...
4)  A sliding scale for filtering other calls - similar to the SPAM filtering settings that can be applied to emails, but instead for known nuisance callers (or statistically collected info from customers blacklists ?)
How about a DO NOT DISTURB setting, so the phone doesn't ring between preconfigured start and stop times.
This would be useful for people who don't want to have their sleep disturbed at certain times of day, such as nightshift workers, or parents who have babies who sleep during the day.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I still find it strange that BT offers caller id FREE, but everybody else charges for it.
Personally I have had an answering machine in the house since I moved in, so have no need for the "free" 1571 service, where as the caller id is essential for me.
Mav
Fixes: 514

I would like to see Ringback as a 'free' service.
I would also like 1471 to list the last 10 calls (or at least the last 5) as not all phones have such a facility.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mav
Fixes: 514

Two other things, not really calling features, I think worth a mention:
1) The ability to assign names to the numbers in the calls list to make it easier to review.
2) The ability to sort the calls in alphabetical order of number/name, call length, call time and cost.
BT has all the above and I do miss them somewhat

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

tstaddon
Rising Star

All of that, and (at some point) proper telephony-through-the-fibre support
picbits
Rising Star

Actually a feature I would like to see which I used to receive on Sipgate is the ability to log on and view incoming calls as well as outgoing calls.
I've not used my Sipgate account for a year or so but it used to list all incoming and outgoing calls which was pretty cool Smiley