Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller id

MrPork
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Caller id

Have the BB/phone package. I also have a Truecall device plugged into the phone line.

Been working fine for years but last few days it has been blocking my star list of allowed callers.

Tried to eliminate the Truecall by plugging the phone directly into the socket and when I ring the home line it says "external" and not my number, tried the *#234# and it says numbers will be displayed.

Is caller ID working OK, how else can I check?

32 REPLIES 32
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: Caller id

Hi there @MrPork. I've had a quick check and I can't see any reason why your caller display shouldn't be working.

To try and troubleshoot this, we can remove and then re-add the caller display.  We have to advise the turnaround is 24 hours for us to remove it then and further 24 hours to reapply it but its usually much sooner. Hopefully that will solve things.

MrPork
Dabbler

Thanks Matt

It does seem to work occasionally but none of my sockets has been moved and the broadband is OK. The phone line is clear with no buzzing.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @MrPork,

Your caller display has been added back to your line and should now be active. Please can you check by calling your line in a few hours time and let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
MrPork
Dabbler

Hi

Still working intermittently. I plugged the phone directly into the socket and it still says external when I ring from my mobile.

Could be my phone is playing up as after wiggling the cables it starts to work! Will try another phone and see what happens.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

That would be my next suggestion @MrPork. Please keep us updated.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
MrPork
Dabbler

Still having problems here. It seems to be a intermittent fault.

Sometimes it works sometimes not!

Unplugged power from the Truecall unit and the phone will say 'External' when I dial in.

Plugged phone directly into master socket and I get the same result.

Try again 5 minutes later phone displays my number!!

Could a noisy line cause this?

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @MrPork

I've just ran a line test and it has flagged a potential Loop fault. Basically a short circuit on the line.

Generally this indicates a potential issue with the equipment connected to the phone line.

This could be a faulty piece of equipment or something breaking the loop such as something going through the line.

To rule out your equipment as the cause, we would like to see if the fault is still present with your equipment disconnected from the line.  If possible please remove the faceplate of the master socket which will disconnect the internal wiring. Let us know and we can then retest your line.

If the problem disappears we can be confident something connected to your socket was causing the problem. Alternatively if the issue is still present we would then need to look to an engineer booking.

MrPork
Dabbler

Doing it now at 4pm. I will lose my BB so how long will the test take?

I will reconnect in 2 hours at 6pm

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks @MrPork,

2 hours is more than enough time.

I'll get a test run around 4.15 - 4.30  but if you want to reconnect more around the 5pm mark just to be on the safe side.   👍🏻

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @MrPork,

I've tested the line and it's still showing the same 'loop fault' without anything in the socket.

As I advised before, we need to proceed with an engineer booking for you. I've forwarded a request for a booking HERE

If you could reply to the ticket with availability and let us know here when you have done so, we can get it picked up asap.

Thanks

MrPork
Dabbler

Hi Matt

Just reconnected. The link to the engineer post is not working.

Regards

Phil

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @MrPork,

Did you get the update I sent via ticket?

Testing while you were disconnected still flagged a loop fault. The next step is to proceed with an engineer visit.

MrPork
Dabbler

How do I access this ticket?

Email just arrived, do I reply to this?

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@MrPork,

There should be a ticket link within the email. Click the link and it should provide the information and also give you an option to respond.

Alternatively, give this link a go HERE

Unfortunately we have to have your response documented on the ticket as we cannot accept engineer availability over the forums.