cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller display "slow"?

SeanP
Dabbler

Caller display "slow"?

My wife reminded me today that since switching to PN for Home Phone and activating Caller Display feature, that the latter is unsatisfactory.
The Caller Display feature appears to be very slow compared to our previous provider (BT) - often taking 4 or more rings before displaying the Caller ID...
Which means a lot of calls go to the answer phone inadvertently & rudely for the friends and family we wish to actually answer.
Receiving equipment is a pair of Panasonic TX-TCA122E handsets to the requisite DECT TAM and charging bases. We've had them for years and with BT the Caller ID was displayed a lot sooner - after 1st or 2nd ring, giving sufficient time to decide to answer or not.
Can anything be done about this? It is perhaps the most disappointing part of this otherwise, thus far, excellent phone service!
--
Sean.
13 REPLIES 13
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Caller display "slow"?

Hi there,
Sorry to hear about the issue.
We can raise faults relating to call features. Before I can do so I just want to make sure you're aware of the potential for charges if an engineer wasn't able to gain entry during a visit or if the fault was due to your equipment. I do realise these sound like unlikely scenarios however this would depend on what happens as part of this being dealt with.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: SeanP
The Caller Display feature appears to be very slow compared to our previous provider (BT) - often taking 4 or more rings before displaying the Caller ID...

That seems strange - the information is sent before the first "ring" signal, which is why call blockers can answer and drop the call without a phone ringing (and that includes phones connected in parallel with the blocker).
Am I mistaken in thinking the required equipment is BT's and PN (as a "reseller") only request enable/disable?
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
picbits
Rising Star

I agree with PeeGee - I've done work on the past designing CLID stuff and it is usually the first thing that comes through on your line.
Something to try if you haven't already but a direct phone connection to the master test socket and if this solves the issue, try a different microfilter.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@SeanP
I've just tried calling as I wanted to see if we can get this raised before the weekend gets underway.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I thought I'd try an experiment and rang my land-line from my mobile, then plugged in a CLID capable phone at the master socket after 2 rings. The "call blocker" protected phone registered as normal, but the CLID phone (in parallel with the blocker) did not register a missed call and didn't display a number Shocked , though it had received 4 "rings" after being plugged in.
Unfortunately, the only conclusions are that call detection is not "ring" related and that it missed something that occurs before the second ring; CLID is one (credible) possibility, though there could be others and I don't know what happens if CLID is not enabled.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
SeanP
Dabbler

Hi folks,
Thanks for the feedback thus far. It does seem strange if the information is sent "before" the first ring...
@_Adam_Walker_ I saw your call (to my mobile), but unfortunately was on an extended conference call with work, so could not answer it. Sorry.
I have a different phone (no longer used) with Caller Display built-in - I will experiment by trying this in the phone socket & see if it sees the CLID first (it is a non-DECT phone).
If so, then we blame the kit - but my Wife is adamant that we saw the calls sooner on the same equipment previously...
Is there any difference in the "amount" of CLID data transferred because of the change in provider?
--
Sean
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I find this strange as my understanding is that when a change of telephone provider is made absolutely nothing changes but the company you pay the bill to.
So if there were no issues with caller ID before, there should be none now.
Would someone care to point out my misunderstanding Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
picbits
Rising Star

Your theory is sound Strat.
I moved from BT to PN and had a couple of CLID issues though - it took a while to get it activated even though the systems were showing it active.
The fact that BT are upgrading a lot of exchanges to enable international CLID may also have some bearing on the issue.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: DomS
The fact that BT are upgrading a lot of exchanges to enable international CLID may also have some bearing on the issue.
I had my first such call today showing a (fake?) international caller-id.
It went to the answering machine and I heard the caller say "Hello" in a voice that I recognised as probably coming from "Windows support"  Roll_eyes before they hung up.
picbits
Rising Star

Yup - looks like a "your computer has a virus" scam number
http://www.unknownphone.com/search.php?num=001185523487
SeanP
Dabbler

Hmm. well... I tried out my old fixed phone, and was very much mistaken. Despite having a built-in TAM (switched off), and some kind of address book / number storage and display showing those numbers, I may be mistaken but do not think it has CLID built in! It's been a long time since I used it (used to be on a second line for business purposes)...
So my experiments today - no CLID on that phone (unless I'm missing something)... BUT the Pansonic handset was showing my own mobile number anywhere from 2-4 rings...
It *may* be dependent on location within the house and "how far" the phones are from their DECT base?  It could just be Wifey is mistaken - and they are behaving just as they always hve. (I personally don't use the land-line - 99% of my calls sent and received are to my mobile(s) and Skype or Lync for work!).
In fact we have more recently relocated the "downstairs" handset & base to the Kitchen, where it used to sit in the living room; and that may have been soon after switching to PN.
The main TAM base is where it always has been, upstairs in our bedroom (directly above the living room). I will try it in the old location for the downstairs base+phone, and / or swapping the main TAM base as well!
I will try to get Wifey to carefully monitor more closely and take note of "how many" rings it really does take and whether 4+ rings is the norm or the exception; noting which room she is in at the time (Distance from DECT base). Smiley
No need for a "support ticket" yet - thanks for the PN staff here for responding so readily and promptly, and other folks for their sage advice & feedback. Smiley
--
Sean.
picbits
Rising Star

My DECT phones sometimes take a little time from an incoming call to recognising the signal. One (before I did a full reset on them) could sometimes not ring until just before the answerphone kicked in.
Maybe worth buying a cheap CLID compatible phone as a backup and giving it a test ?
If you're anywhere near Wellingborough I have an old set of DECT phones with CLID you can borrow ?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: PeeGee
That seems strange - the information is sent before the first "ring" signal, which is why call blockers can answer and drop the call without a phone ringing (and that includes phones connected in parallel with the blocker).

Given that there are different standards around the world, call blockers could simply be clamping the ring tone until they gave decided how to handle the call.  A user would thus be unaware if the CLI was presented prior to the first ring tone or between the first and second ring.
I have a Panasonic DECT set with CLID which will display the number, match it to the phone's directory, display the matching name, (if recorded) announce the name and (if configured) ring the special ring tone.
In doing some tests, yesterday I noticed that the phone did not ring until after the second ring heard on the calling phone and continued for two rings after the calling phone dropped the call.  Today that was not the case.
On each occasion, on the first received ring, the phone displays "Incoming Call" the same as if no CLI service was active.  After the first ring the CLID is displayed, the directory details dare displayed, the caller is announced and he rung changes to the special ringtone.
Thus suggests to me that either different devices have their own way of doing things or there is a delay in sending CLI data.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.