Caller display not working

FIXED
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Caller display not working

“I was hoping it could be fixed in the same manner as others in this thread

That’s only to to happen if the cause of your issue is the same as the others. There are a number of reasons why CLI does not work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldricky
Grafter
Fixes: 6

An Openreach engineer called on Tuesday and dealt with an exchange fault which was unrelated to my Caller Display issue. He advised me contact Plusnet again to make sure it was properly switched on and if it was I should try another compatible handset. So I contacted Plusnet and was told that switching it off & on sometimes cured it. This he arranged over a 24 hour period. Caller Display is now working again. Smiley

I appreciate people trying to help but you saying "That’s only to to happen if the cause of your issue is the same as the others" was stating the obvious. (Even though it possibly was the same as the others.) And "There are a number of reasons why CLI does not work." I'm afraid I've no idea what CLI means. Despite having a technical background, 'CLI' completely beat me. So I'm afraid your message didn't help me at all.

Shep41
Seasoned Pro

I think CLI is caller line identifier
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

CLI is indeed caller line identity and is the facility which enables telephones to display the presentation number of an inbound call. Note that the presentation number and the call origination number (network number) might not be the same.

CLI can fail to function correctly due to a host of causes including exchange faults, which is why I suggested “fixe my caller display issue by the same method that others on here have been fixed” (not requiting an engineer visit) might not be appropriate. Your comment seemed to imply dissatisfaction with the approach being taken to resolve your manifestation of caller display not working.

CLI not displaying the presentation number can be caused by anything from the service not being ordered, not being activated, a handset fault, filter fault, line fault, exchange line termination error or an exchange line card. It is therefore not possible to assert that the exchange fault being repaired had no bearing on CLI not working. If nothing else was done, it probably was.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldricky
Grafter

Re "Your comment seemed to imply dissatisfaction with the approach being taken to resolve your manifestation of caller display not working."

I am completely satisfied with the support provided by Plusnet on this issue which is why I posted a Smiley but perhaps I should have also added a 'thank you'. It was a minor technical inconvenience to me which seems to have been resolved with a good old-fashioned 'reboot' (i.e. switch off & on). I've been around long enough to know such is the way on some occasions.

My only slight dissatisfaction is the use of unnecessary industrial abbreviations which are not always known outside an industry but, as I said, I do appreciate people within the community helping to fix problems which is why explained how my issue was resolved. It may help other customers and support staff.

Thank you, Plusnet, for the fix. Thumbs_Up

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @Baldricky 

I'm sorry to see that it appears the line fault we detected was just a red herring Sad However I'm happy to see that doing the good old switch it off and on trick fixed the problem for you. Thumbs_Up

I've made a mental note of this to try that in the first instance moving forward even if we do detect a line fault as I could've at least done that as well as raise the fault. Wizards get things wrong sometimes too!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
flyingmontyboy
Hooked

Hi folks, I don't know if I have accessed this posting correctly, as am not very savvy with these things/language etc. But if it's the right place then our question is identical to previous ones:

We are also new to plusnet and this is also one of the little problems we have.

We also tried the*#234# and were told that that caller display is not available, whilst it is indicated that we do have it on the account page,

Interestingly though we did have it initially and only noticed it wasn't showing when we had a 'flurry' of scam callers, so from what I've read a gentle switch off and back on would, I feel, be appreciated.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @flyingmontyboy,

Thanks for getting in touch, I appreciate your query.

I've checked this and caller display was not switched on on your line so I have switched it on for you, please allow 24 hours for your line to update. You can check it is working after 24 hours using the *#234# input code.

If you have any issues, please come back to us.

Thanks - LF

flyingmontyboy
Hooked

Wow LordFoul, that was swift - Thank you muchly.

We'll check via *#234#, and mobile, tomorrow and advise accordingly.

PS: I can't see a 'This fixed my problem' button, on my keyboard. . . . . . . .

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

No worries flyingmontyboy. There is a button to click on on the site, by the way 😉

Let us know how that goes once you've checked the feature tomorrow.

Thanks – LF

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@flyingmontyboy wrote:

PS: I can't see a 'This fixed my problem' button, on my keyboard. . . . . . . .

Hi,

You won't - only the originator of a topic sees the "This fixed my problem" button.

Those who add their own issues to someone else's topic, do not get the ability to click "This follow-up fixed their issue as well" through the system facility referenced by @LordFoul.  Such is why, in general, it is recommended that people start their own topic for their own issue … but sometimes (as in this case) that might not be proficient! Wink