Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller display not working

FIXED
papercut
Fixes: 1

Caller display not working

Hi,

Following a pretty violent thunderstorm which cut off our electricity for a while, my caller display has stopped working.  I can still receive calls and make calls and my broadband is OK.  My phone is fine and working as normal except that no caller numbers will show.  (I don't have another caller display phone to try to see if there's a problem specifically with the caller display feature of my phone but I think it's highly unlikely as everything else on the phone is just fine.)  I've called *#234# and I'm told that callers identities will be displayed.  I've noticed that with other customers when you've removed and readded the caller display feature that quite often helps.  I was wondering if it would it be possible for you to try that for me?  Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Caller display not working

Thanks for getting in touch @papercut.

We've removed and readded the caller dislpay feature for you.

If you're still having issues after this we'd recommend trying another caller display handset out just to be certain that it isn't the handset at fault

Let us know how you get on

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
papercut

Many thanks for trying that - unfortunately it hasn't worked.  We thought of trying our phone out on one of our neighbours' lines but they're both on holiday - typical!  However, we've managed to get our hands on an old phone with a caller display function but it'll need to be left to charge for quite a while before we can try it out.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @papercut

Let us know how you get on.

Failing that, we may need to raise a fault. It just seems a little too coincidental that the power cut seems to have disabled the feature.

papercut

Couldn't get the old phone to charge up so I couldn't try it out, and our only next door neighbour who's not away has never had caller display on her phone package so I couldn't try it out there!  However, I have found out that quite a few folk in our wee hamlet have the same problem - before the storm caller display worked fine but following the thunderstorm it's not working.  One lady has spoken to her supplier (BT) who have said that their caller display is OK but she's had no joy yet convincing them that althoughh it says on their system that it's OK, it's not working at her house. So, it seems that it's a fault affecting quite a few houses here that are all served by the same exchange.  

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

We're experiencing a (hopefully brief!) issue with our internal systems at present. Feel free to send me a PM with your phone number though and I'll run some tests on the line. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
papercut

Fix

I eventually managed to check out my phone elsewhere and it was OK.  So, I reported the fault to Plusnet customer services who passed it on to Openreach.  The first attempt to sort it was no good but a few days later they managed to sort it out.  Although the problem was that the caller display on the telephone wasn't working, it was actually a fault with the broadband side of things (after the thunderstorm) that had caused the problem.  I think it's to do with the FSK data burst (which contains the calling line identification) that is sent down the line before the signal for the phone to ring.  If you have broadband then this data takes a wee detour via the broadband port before it gets to your phone line and if there is a problem with the broadband port - I think - then this affects the FSK data.  This means that the phone can't make out what the data is saying and therefore can't identify the number calling.  So, although the broadband gave us no problem - speeds OK etc - there was a problem with the port and this affected the caller display.