Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller display not working

FIXED
geoffcd
Dabbler

Caller display not working

Have been trying to reinstate caller display. Customer support have confirmed that is has been deactivated and reactivated and should now be working. It's still not working and they suggest I contact Technical Support.who may be able to sort out. CD is showing as active on My Account.Can Technical please help?

23 REPLIES 23
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Caller display not working

Have you tried following the steps here?

https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
geoffcd
Dabbler

Spoke to Panasonic the phone manufacturer and followed their suggestions on removing batteries etc and resetting. Eveything seems to be ok with the phone, fully charged, connections etc. Unable to check with another phone as don't have one available, but system was working fine before a recent power cut. Any other thoughts?

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

geoffcd
Dabbler

Unfortunately can't do as neighbours using mobiles, not landlines. Every other function on phone is working fine, numbers retained, speed dialing using phonebook etc. Is it your view that it's the phone which is at fault and not a systems glitch at your end?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Everything is set correctly on our end so we'd need you to test another phone or test the phone on another line which has caller display on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@geoffcd wrote:

...but system was working fine before a recent power cut. Any other thoughts?

Hmmm, this rings a bell - no pun intended.

From August to December last year there was a thread on this forum - Link - about caller display suddenly ceasing to work after a power cut. There was no happy ending to the thread - when it finished it seems that the customer's equipment was proved to be OK, but there seemed to be doubts about the quality, or maybe even presence, of the caller ID data from the exchange.

It was not stated whether the exchange fell within the area affected by the power cut, but the initial post appears to my reading to suggest that it may well have.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
geoffcd
Dabbler

Thanks for that. I read through the thread which went on forever with no apparent successful conclusion. Was it eventually sorted out? Seems not as  6 months later the problem is still occurring.. It looks like a breach of contract to me and a reason to change ISP. I'll be interested to hear from Plusnet support about what they intend to do. I switched due to reports of great service. I'm now doubting the wisdom of that decision, which is a shame as other aspects are fine. Plusnet is there a fix to this, please and when.?.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

If you've no neighbours with a landline you could test your phone on/ only have 1 corded phone, you could buy/ return one from ARGOS if not!

You need to eliminate your current phone from CLID issue; usual advice is try a friend's socket (who has CLID)

+/OR try their phone in your socket.

If their phone works in your socket, indicates your phone has the problem.

You mention power cut; when power came back, there could have been a surge which could have done something to your phone's electronics.

geoffcd
Dabbler

Thanks for that good advice Gel. Tried the CLID with a brand new phone but still got the "icoming call" message. Seems, therefore, that it's a line/Plusnet fault. Back to you Plusnet.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hey there. Sorry to hear you're still having problems with caller display. I'll take a look at it first thing tomorrow morning for you.

[Edit]

I can see that our suppliers have informed us that they have believe to have resolved the fault on Monday. If you are still experiencing an issue, please let us know.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
geoffcd
Dabbler

Still showing "incoming call". Technical Support said they would  investigate with Openreach but as yet no feedback, and no improvement to the system.

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

OK and have you had no updates posted on your online account?

geoffcd
Dabbler

Since 15 May when I spoke to Technical Support, I have had around 10 messages from Plusnet staff, saying that the problem is being investigated, is on hold, or that the suppliers say they have done some work on the line and it's now ok. It's still not working. I have carried out all the tests I have been asked, bought a new phone purely for testing purposes and nothing has changed. How can something appearing to be so simple become such a large and apparently unfixable issue. I dread to think how Plusnet will handle things if my system goes down. Has this problem ever been resolved for other customers? According to Community strands, it seems not. I moved to Plusnet because of its customer service but I'm beginning to regret this decision. I don't want to receive cold calls, so is anyone at Plusnet prepared to take ownership of my problem and see it through to a solution? Or is this just not possible to fix? Annoyed and frustrated!!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Sorry to hear that this is still not resolved. I've sent the fault back to our suppliers for further investigation with specific notes that the fault is suspected to lie with the tie pairs in your exchange which would be looked at by a frames engineer. I've also assigned your fault ticket as one of my personals so I'll update you via your account as soon as we receive more information. Which possibly could be Tuesday, because of the upcoming bank holiday weekend. Sad
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button