cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller claiming to be from Microsoft Tech dept.

daro2096
Grafter

Caller claiming to be from Microsoft Tech dept.

Getting phone calls from number 003002 claiming to be Microsoft Tech Dept. How do I block these nuisance calls?
14 REPLIES 14
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Caller claiming to be from Microsoft Tech dept.

Call blocking is discussed in a number of threads (try a forum search for "call blocker" and include the quotes).
The "easy" way: you need to have "caller display" enabled and either a phone or dedicated device that will use the displayed id to answer and drop the call. There is usually a "block now" button to add a number instantly, as well.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
daro2096
Grafter

So I would set it to just block any calls starting 00300?
petecov44
Grafter

Scam Scam Scaaam
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@daro2096
You can set the (linked) call blocker to block by area code, individual number or a number sequence by using a specific entry code.
Two things to remember are:
- some organisations (eg hospitals) always withhold the number, so you may still have to answer all withheld calls just for those
- the calls are blocked by a rapid answer/disconnect (usually before the first "ring" signal), so blocked calls do not trigger the 1571 message service
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

These days and I think since I activated Call Protect, I receive very few unwanted calls.  However, the persistent one is the Microsoft Tech Dept one.

Did you obtain the way of blocking this nuisance?  If so what did you do?  I don't find the responses to your query very clear.

I use PlusNet Phone.

Regards....

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Is the call coming from a withheld number?

With call protect you should also have the option of declining calls from withheld/international/unavailable numbers.
More information on this can be found here: https://www.plus.net/help/phone/call-features/#how-do-i-use-call-features (Call protect is at the bottom of the list)

It's also worth noting that all the other posts in this thread pre-date call protect being a feature that we had available to offer.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Since the Microsoft one and a number of others use a spoofed caller ID  that won't work

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

While I appreciate there will always be outliers like that @Oldjim, I've had the same number repeat call me every day for the past few weeks while I've been off (An international number, but obviously spoofed. Something like 001234567890) I would like to think that a spoofed international number would still get picked up as an international number.

If the calls are regularly from the same number, there's the option of adding that specific number.

Without something like call guardian screening calls and getting the caller to state their name before patching the call through to you, there's likely always going to be some that slip through, but people I've spoke to that have been using call protect have certainly seen an improvement.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend

looking through that it would appear that the only option is to divert to junk voice mail

Does this mean that you have to activate Voice mail for it to work or is 1572 completely separate

Reason for asking is that I have my own answering machine and I don't want the Plusnet one as it screws it up

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

As far as I'm aware the 1572 junk voicemail box would be separate to the 1571 standard voicemail box.

While I appreciate 1571 can mess with answering machines (When 1571 answers the call before the machine can) it may be worth giving call protect (1572) a try. Worst case scenario, it can easily just be removed from your line if it does cause problems with your answering machine.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend

will try it and report back

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@HarryB wrote:

While I appreciate there will always be outliers like that @Oldjim, I've had the same number repeat call me every day for the past few weeks while I've been off (An international number, but obviously spoofed. Something like 001234567890) I would like to think that a spoofed international number would still get picked up as an international number.

Interesting Harry funnily enough I just posted on a thread about spoofed CLID's.

I think I've had the same call on my landline, number obviously fake - I ignored it. I ignore anyone that calls me where I don't have the number stored, I only really use it to call my parents, as they don't use mobiles very often.

Scary to think the scammers can spoof CLID's now and I think it'll only get worse. People will assume they can't (they can) and it will only be a matter of time before people pretend to be from a company they're not from.

If the scammers were a bit brighter, you would have thought they would have picked a number more random, not a sequential one which shouts to you "dodgy".

It is to get round the blocks but I suspect it will be a matter of time before they impersonate other company CS numbers so you think it is real.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

International calls now blocked - number withheld isn't because of the local hospital

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, it's a shame that they'll find a way around it. Same with spam filters.

It only lasted a week luckily, but I was getting spam landline calls at silly o'clock on my landline which woke me up. I usually have my mobile on silent at night, as the iPhone pinging new e-mail sound does my head in. I know I can disable that but I like to have it on during the day.

Has gone away, at the moment with a family member being ill I may get a genuine silly o'clock call at the moment. I should really get some better handsets. Essentially something like block all numbers (and withheld numbers) except the ones I whitelist at night between x and y times.