cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller ID spoofing

georgealty

Caller ID spoofing

Im getting calls with numbers to bypass my caller ID, but theyre sales calls, ignoring TPS (suprise suprise) and using caller number spoofing to bypass my caller ID protection.

In essence paying for caller ID blocking is now pointless unless we can identify spoof numbers.

Thoughts?

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Caller ID spoofing

@georgealty -you don't pay for the blocking facility, you pay for caller display. Whether you answer 'unknown/unfamiliar' calls is up to you.

John
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

For many years I have been using a call blocker, just changed to a new one last year with a memory (so if I am out I can review the calls and block it). With it if I get any spam calls I just press the block button on them, they get added to the block list and if they call again then they get dropped automatically. But you still need CID. I also block all international and withheld numbers.
I also have the BT/PN call blocking service but it is a bit more cumbersome to use all be it is free.
jab1
Legend

I don't have a call blocker, and yes I did get my fair share of spam calls. Now this may or not be a coincidence, but around 12 months back, I stopped answering any number I didn't recognise or have in my phones address book, and I can now say hand on heart, I may get one rubbish call a month -if that.

Anyone who genuinely needs to contact me only has to leave a message on 1571, and I phone them back - simples.Wink

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I used to get at least one junk call per day until I bought a BT8600.

The phone used to log the junk calls which it subsequently hung up on.

The spammers must have got the message as I haven't had a junk call logged for months Cool

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jab1
Legend

@Strat My method may have taken a little longer, but it was cheaper.Cheesy

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@jab1 I was due for a new phone anyway Wink

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine