Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller ID not working...

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Caller ID not working...

Another issue it seems, I only just noticed (I rarely use the phoneline, got 2k any network minutes a month on my mobile, so, yeah!!) that the Caller ID isn't working, I just tried two phones that support it and neither are registering any calls or numbers, mostly cos I was testing my old BT Studio Twin (though missing it's twin) cordless which supports caller ID, but that and the more recent Binatone things aren't coming up with anything... Undecided
Could someone have a poke about? Thanks... Grin
13 REPLIES 13
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Caller ID not working...

Daft question - have you ordered it? If so why? You obviously don't use it and your paying 99p for the privilege  Huh
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Joshc
Grafter

Good morning,
@twocvbloke
Just had a look at your account and the order for Caller display hadn't been placed, when it should have been!!
I have altered this for you and it should be up and running within 24hrs!!
Smiley
PeeGee
Pro

Peter,
Perhaps out of consideration for others and a need to screen incoming calls Shocked
I object strongly to people expecting me to call a mobile at high cost when a land-line call is "inclusive" and even that is only just cost effective.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: JoshuaC
Good morning,
@twocvbloke
Just had a look at your account and the order for Caller display hadn't been placed, when it should have been!!
I have altered this for you and it should be up and running within 24hrs!!
Smiley

Thanks, I had forgotten I'd ordered it, given the delays with sorting the phoneline out and looking at the bill recently reminded me I'd ordered it (the coming bill's the first it's appeared on), did wonder if it was the phones or not though, but this confirms that isn't the case... Smiley
Quote from: PeterLoftus
Daft question - have you ordered it? If so why? You obviously don't use it and your paying 99p for the privilege  Huh

Yes, I did order it the day I signed up, it was ordered cos it was there (it's nice to see numbers associated with names listed on the phone), as for my use of it, you're right, I don't really use the landline, the mother does, so it's more for her benefit so she can screen calls herself (as in, answer calls from friends & family, and not those from a company desperate to sell us insulation when we already have a load of it in the attic, or a new boiler which we had installed a year ago!!), and if need be, acquire one of them call blocker thingies to add pest numbers to which rely on Caller ID to work... Smiley
And yes, I did register the new number with the TPS, still waiting for it to take effect... Cool
catelliott
Grafter

Hi twocvbloke,
I've just checked the line and it should all be working now, sorry for the mix-up! Smiley
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@twocvbloke yes my wife is like your mother. We dare not change our phone number because of the friends and family who are in touch over the landline so the caller identification helps us keep the situation under control with calls from the subcontinent etc etc 
It's a poor second to the functionality of a smartphone though  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: catelliott
I've just checked the line and it should all be working now, sorry for the mix-up! Smiley

I can confirm it's working, shame the display on the Binatones is awful cos I thought it was garbled for a second, but nope, they just have a really badly designed LCD screen and my mobile's number was displayed in full... Grin
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: PeterLoftus
It's a poor second to the functionality of a smartphone though  Smiley

Well, they say physical copper (and other substitute metal) telephone lines are on their last legs nowadays, so are being outpaced by smartphones and VOIP, but, in the event of a powercut the landline always works (not sure why the mobile towers aren't on UPSes, but round here they drop out if there's a large-scale powercut!!) and that's what matters, always there for emergencies, and communications are still open when there's naff all else (especially as I've not yet got a UPS to power the Openreach modem)... Smiley
catelliott
Grafter

Glad to hear everything's fine from your end too! Cheesy
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: twocvbloke
especially as I've not yet got a UPS to power the Openreach modem
I think there's a fair chance that your cabinet (and therefore FTTC internet) would be'dead' in the event of a power cut (unless very local) so I'm not sure that a UPS would be particularly useful on you modem.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

FTTC  cabinets do have battery back up for a few hours so your fibre broadband should keep going. Smiley
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks @RealAle, that's useful to know.  I might get a UPS for my broadband after all.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

It'd be nice if we could use the BBU (Battery Backup Unit) ports on the modems, but that's probably more for those who have VOIP-only phone service as far as I'm aware, so a UPS should do me fine... Smiley