cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller ID not working after move from Sky

Mable76
Hooked

Caller ID not working after move from Sky

I swapped my landline/broadband from Sky to Plusnet back in March.

On the very day the switch was made my caller display stopped working, meaning all callers have since had to go through the procedure of announcing themselves on my phone's (BT 8610) call guardian system. Many of my friends and family are elderly, and struggle with the voice prompts and hash key presses needed to get through the call guardian system.

I have contacted Plusnet by phone and live chat a few times, and have been told that the caller display service is active, and have even done the "*#234#" test on the line and get the message "Callers' identities will be displayed", so after apparently ruling out all other possibilities I assumed that my phone's (BT 8610) caller display function was no longer working, and the fact that it had stopped working on the very same day I swapped over to Plusnet was just an unfortunate coincidence.

I got hold of a Binatone 410 Spirit corded handset with caller display in order to check the line. The caller display function worked with callers' numbers being displayed on the handset, although the odd call did not display now and again when testing it out using my mobile phone.

I then purchased a brand-new BT 4600 handset with call guardian, plugged it in and encountered the same problem as with my old BT 8610 handset i.e. caller display not working. I've tried the handset just plugged in to the master phone socket with nothing else connected at all and it still does not work.

I then took this new BT 4600 handset to my grandson's house (who also swapped from Sky to Plusnet around the same time as I did), plugged it into his Plusnet landline and it worked perfectly, with callers' numbers being displayed and those callers whose numbers are in the phone's memory coming directly through without having to go through the hassle of announcing themselves via the call guardian system.

To me this seems to prove that there is some sort of problem with my line, and I would be very grateful if anybody could suggest a possible solution, as not having the caller display/call guardian feature working correctly is incredibly frustrating for both myself and my friends/family.

11 REPLIES 11
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Caller ID not working after move from Sky

Hi @Mable76

We are sorry to hear you feel this way and can completely understand your frustration.

I am in the process of removing the caller display feature from your line so I can place another order to put it back on to see if that would make a difference. I will get back in touch with you once it's complete to ask you to check it from your side again.

Thank you for your patience.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Mable76

The order to re-activate the caller display feature is now complete. Can you please check the feature from your side to see if it works? If it doesn't, we would have to raise it for our suppliers to investigate.

Let us know how it goes please.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Mable76
Hooked

Hello and thank you for your help. Unfortunately the caller display function is still not working, with all callers having to announce themselves via the call guardian system.

I've done a bit of digging on the internet and came across this thread on the BT Community forum, which seems to describe a situation similar to mine.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/BT-caller-ID-stopped-working/td-p/1769174

Could this possibly be the cause of the fault?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you're still having issues @Mable76

I've raised this as a fault to our suppliers and we'll investigate further.

Apologies for

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@MatthewWheeler

Move from Sky to Plusnet - was this from ADSL to Fibre as well?

IIRC there have been historical cases where on an upgrade to fibre leaving the tied pair in place at the exchange has fouled up the operation of CLI. A move from Sky to Plusnet certainly involves in-exchange work in this area.

Is this possibility part of the CLI issues diagnostic workflow in relation to LLU migrations?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@Townman The exchange tie pair issues is one we're aware of and is the next step we need to take after the initial fault has been raised

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Mable76
Hooked

@Townman wrote:
@MatthewWheeler

Move from Sky to Plusnet - was this from ADSL to Fibre as well?

IIRC there have been historical cases where on an upgrade to fibre leaving the tied pair in place at the exchange has fouled up the operation of CLI. A move from Sky to Plusnet certainly involves in-exchange work in this area.

Is this possibility part of the CLI issues diagnostic workflow in relation to LLU migrations?

Thank you for your suggestion, I'm not technically minded but would love to get to the bottom of this mystery.

I swapped from standard Sky broadnand to standard Plusnet broadband.

Mable76
Hooked

@MatthewWheeler wrote:

Sorry to hear you're still having issues @Mable76

I've raised this as a fault to our suppliers and we'll investigate further.

Apologies for

Thank you very much.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Mable76,

Thank you for confirming that you moved over to us from Sky, it does sound like this may have been caused by a tie pair issue.

Our suppliers are currently looking into the fault and our faults team will be in touch once we've received an update from our suppliers.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Mable76
Hooked

Hello, sorry for the long delay in replying but I haven't been well.

Unfortunately the caller ID is still not working, and the message I received from you last month has now closed as I didn't reply to it in time.

Please could you re-open the question so that I can reply to the message.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @Mable76, I'm sorry to hear you're still experiencing problems with caller display.

While I'm afraid I'm unable to re-open the previous ticket, I have re-raised the fault report with our suppliers and created a new ticket to track this Here for you.

I hope this helps.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet