cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller ID for incoming international calls (changes)

AndyH
Grafter

Caller ID for incoming international calls (changes)

A few people were asking about why caller ID does not work for incoming international calls.
At the moment, you will either see:
INTERNATIONAL; or
UNAVAILABLE
This is not much use for knowing exactly who is calling, particularly given the issue of telemarketing calls from foreign call centres.
From Dec 2013 for 7 months, BT will be upgrading the exchange equipment to support international incoming caller line ID.
Once upgraded, anyone should see one of the following (if they have CLID and receive an international call):
INTERNATIONAL and calling number - if the call is marked as International in origin
INTERNATIONAL and Withheld - if the caller has withheld their number
INTERNATIONAL and Unavailable - if there is no caller identity to be displayed

7 REPLIES 7
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Caller ID for incoming international calls (changes)

Excellent news for everyone, thanks for sharing Smiley
elkieluca
Grafter

Thank you for that information as I have two of my children living abroad and I also get loads of international spam calls, so it will be great to know if its them or not as they get annoyed sometimes when I screen all their calls before I answer them. My kids not the spam  Grin
muse77

This does not make much sense to me. I was with Sky ove a BT landline until recently and Sky caller id worked fine on international calls!
As soon as I changed to plusnet, I only get the id " international" which is truly not good enough!
Can you please explain why Sky with BT manages this fine, whereas Plusnet does not? Although I do not like Sky much, this is so important I may need to switch back.
Thanks
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No clue, sorry. We don't own / operate the exchange equipment, it belongs to BT. Sounds like Sky had you on their own (LLU) kit and hence they will have greater freedom in operating it and may be able to use enhanced features.
picbits
Rising Star

I suspect Sky have a different system which they use over the BT network - it is surprisingly simple to send a CLID to a customers phone as it is effectively an audio signal (DTFM) with the CLID information. I've previously designed a call routing system which picks this signal up when the call first comes through (before answering).
I suspect that Sky and their technology is a little newer and better for the international CLID than the somewhat antiquated (but currently being upgraded) BT system. Heck - even the mobile phone companies have had international CLID for years.
It is on it's way on the BT system though so fingers crossed you'll be one of the earlier exchanges to be upgraded.
muse77

Thanks everyone. I just had a look at our exchange on the BT checker. It is accepting superfast broadband orders so presumably has been updated? Yet, no luck on Plusnet caller id.
So might have to move back to Sky even though I am not really a Sky kind of person. (I'd rather support Plusnet, but this feature is important to me).
Kind regards,
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: muse77
I just had a look at our exchange on the BT checker. It is accepting superfast broadband orders so presumably has been update

The problem is nothing to do with the Broadband component of the service,  it is a feature within the Telephony configuration of the exchange.  BT in their 'wisdom' many years back elected not to pass on the full International number and substituted 'International' in its place.  'Withheld' and 'unavailable' are similar instances of the same technique of handling (obfuscating!) presentation numbers.  There are - or were at the time - good reasons for doing things that way.  The actual configuration changes are relatively straight forward, but have to be built in with other changes / fixes / updates for each exchange - and then scheduled for implementation.  So it will take while to become the norm across ALL BT exchanges.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.