I am getting some strange behaviour from Caller-ID. I think it started after I enabled call protect.
The first time someone rings me (since the problem started), I don't get caller ID passed through and the phone simply displays External Call. Subsequent calls from the same number seem to display caller ID correctly.
It only seems to affect calls from Openreach landlines (whoever is the phone provider). Calls from mobile phones, or VOIP providers seem to display caller ID correctly at the first attempt.
Is this a known side effect of Call Protect, or is it simply my Caller ID service misbehaving.
I don't get a lot of calls so it is difficult to diagnose any further.
I have turned call protect off, swapped the phone base unit for a different one (albeit the same type). Neither change has made any difference.
Caller ID from Mobiles, VPN users and some landlines ( a talk talk customer) seem to give caller ID reliably. Others (BT customers) never work or work intermittently.
I have asked PlusNet to disable and re-enable the caller ID function on my line to see if a reset (the old three finger salute) will fix it.
My only thoughts are that it is a timing issue. Possibly Openreach/BT originated calls deliver caller ID slightly faster than calls where caller ID comes from an external source ( although I must admit to knowing little about how the process actually works). If that is the case, then it may be the phone base station that is a bit slow.