cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller Display

Laroc
Grafter

Caller Display

I appreciate this is an old topic, but has PN any long terms plans to offer this service free.
My BT contract renewal is due this Nov which gives me free E and W calls + free call display = £129/yr
With PN price rise this works out at £125.88 + £11.88 ( call display 12months) = £137.76/yr
I would like to leave BT, but the economics are against me.
32 REPLIES 32
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Caller Display

£137·76 - £129·00 = £8·76
£8·76 per annum - well worth it I would have thought for bills that one can understand, a very useful forum, and a call centre in Yorkshire.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Regarding understandable bills, when I was last with BT (for phone) I found the online bills very good (I could even get the bills to display names that I'd saved rather than just numbers).
You don't have to have phone with Plusnet to get the very useful forum.
Times are hard and 'every penny counts'. Wink
Yorkshire vs India: I'll give you that one (no contest) Smiley
BT used to automatically offer to forward incoming calls to a mobile (and make a contribution to mobile costs) in the event of a telephone line fault, not sure if they still do?
A free caller display option might be what it takes to make me stay after my current LRS runs out - sorry Plusnet Sad
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
peter10
Grafter

I had thought about moving back to BT but according to their website the E + W calls are an extra £3.15 pm (increasing to £3-30p in Jan) on top of line rental  which equates to £166.80p pa (not counting price rise). Whether these figures only apply to new customers I don't know.
With PN E + W calls, caller display and annual line rental is £137.76 pa
The £129 pa package from BT only includes weekend calls on their site.
Laroc
Grafter

Quote from: Salmo
I had thought about moving back to BT but according to their website the E + W calls are an extra £3.15 pm (increasing to £3-30p in Jan) on top of line rental  which equates to £166.80p pa (not counting price rise). Whether these figures only apply to new customers I don't know.

The extra £3.15 quoted on the BT web site is for presumably for new customers, I have been getting it free for years plus of course the caller display
I agree india is hopeless, I had a bill last week which was mind boggling, 2 calls to India gave me the same answer, "it will sort itself out on the next bill, have a nice day"
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Quote fixed.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

BT 'privacy at home' is free and it includes Caller Display
http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail/consumer/btprivacy/faqs/index.html#faq1
Laroc
Grafter

For me where a caller display is essential,  the free offer from BT makes this an attractive selling point.
As I said earlier having to pay another 0.99p per month with PN makes the total line rental unattractive
I am sure PN are losing potential customers like me, why should I pay for something I am already getting free.
By the way I am a PN customer having the ADSL product  for a good number of years.
Perhaps PN should offer a free CLD as an incentive to long term customers who want to join the Home Phone ?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately we have no mechanism available for adding caller display as a permanent free feature. However, in all these circumstances we recommend giving our Customer Options team a call as they may be able to work something out to bring your home phone on board.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Any chance a call to the Customer Options team would give me a commitment to an immediate free diversion of calls to a mobile in the event of a problem as well? That's the killer for me (not how it works most of the time but what happens when it goes wrong).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The Faults team can add call divert free of charge when a fault is reported to BTO. However, we cannot make the calls that are forwarded free of charge - again, there is no mechanism to do this.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

So how do BT Retail manage it?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Genuinely no idea unless they have someway of automatically removing call charges in their own CRM.
It's not a feature we are able to chose through Openreach.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: bures
I appreciate this is an old topic, but has PN any long terms plans to offer this service free.

PN have no intention of offering Caller Display as a free service. It has been suggested many times that it should be offered as an alternative to the free 1571 offering, and the customer chooses which they want. The last time I recall this was this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,104346.0.html . Every time it has come up on these boards, the majority have wanted free Caller Display instead of 1571. The Plusnet reps have said they fed this back.
However it's either been fed back to those with cloth ears, or the accountants (who have the final say?), 'cos they haven't taken any notice.
Why? Because it's a "commercial" decision, they make money from free 1571.
How? Simple - virtually every Phone provider provides the basic 1571 free. When you ring an engaged line with 1571 activated, it goes straight to the answer service and you pay for the call (unless it happens to be an inclusive one). So the cosy CP cartel makes money every time, with the connection fee and first minute that is typically 20p you pay (minimum, depends on provider), so you think they are going to change it. You bet they won't; and OFCOM is too weak to do anything about it.
Laroc
Grafter

1571 is of no use to me.
Whenever, the phone trips the other end with 1571, my heart sinks.
I would say that 90% of the time, I never get the call returned.
Of course if you are paying for the call, that makes it even more infuriating !