cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller Display

ginnym
Grafter

Caller Display

I moved to Plusnet from BT several months ago and included caller display on my account.  I've noticed that a number of incoming calls now don't display either the phone number or the name logged in my phone's directory - they come up just as "external caller" instead.  This didn't happen when I was with BT.  Is it because those callers are with different providers and Plusnet doesn't recognise them or is there some other reason?  It's proving to be quite inconvenient.
7 REPLIES 7
jmd
Grafter

Re: Caller Display

Shouldn't do...............my "caller display" gives the number unless the caller has withheld it or it is from somebody/somewhere with a switchboard and then it sometimes shows "number withheld" or "not currently available"[but that last one is very rare].  International calls just say "international".
ginnym
Grafter

That's what mine has always said until recently but now I've started getting the "external call" display for some calls.  It's happened on a couple of different numbers (even though the people/numbers are stored in my phonebook) but doesn't seem to happen every time those people call so I can't work out why it's doing it.  I did wonder if maybe it's taking a while for the caller ID to recognise the number but even if I delay answering the call, it doesn't pick up the number.  It never happened on BT and didn't seem to happen when I first switched to Plusnet.
jmd
Grafter

Well, I have been using it for some months now and no problems.  I find caller display very useful with having hearing problems - if I know who is is I can respond accordingly! Smiley
pd
Grafter

ginnym....  It doesn't make any difference delaying answering the call as in the UK callerID is sent before the first ring.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I get some oddities on caller display with BT. For example occasionally an incoming call shows no ID before you answer, but afterwards when you look at the incoming call list stored in the phone it's there. Very odd, I just assume it's a strange limitation in the phones firmware.  Crazy
paulby
Grafter

@ginnym
It doesn't matter if you're with BT or PN, the Caller Display on your line is identical and provided by BT Openreach (as are all the other calling features with the exception of 1571 which is a BT Wholesale product).
If "External Caller" is displayed it usually means that the person calling has a permanent withold on their number (as opposed to dialling 141 to withold it on a call by call basis) or is dialling from behind a PABX configured not to release numbers.  If it's witheld on a call by call basis, Caller Display normally shows "Witheld" in the display.
It can also be a fault on the originating network if it's, for example, Virgin Media or TalkTalk numbers that are affected (I have a couple of friends who use TalkTalk and their numbers didn't come up for about a week after they were moved to TT's LLU network).
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Now I know that this seems completely daft, but I experienced a similar problem with the CLI not being presented to the phone downstairs, yet would show up on the phone upstairs.
A few days ago, I changed the DSL filter downstairs from my speedtouch one to one supplied with my Netgear router. Now I didn't notice that the CLI had stopped being presented till my wife started moaning  Cool
This evening I was tearing my hair out with it all, then it dawned on me about the filter.. it seems it was blocking the CLI signal that is sent with the ring signal, so changed it back.. et voila! all is working fine now!
For those that are interested in how CLI works.. have a look here