Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller Display

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Caller Display

I've have had caller display for some time now but ever since problems with low broadband speed which BT are still trying to sort out, it has disappeared. Is there any connection between the two?

According to plusnet the service is still enabled and I have done this by dialling *#234# but still no display when calls are received. I've re-enabled and again by dialing in *234#. It's a puzzle to be sure as even private numbers held on my phone are not showing up.      

If there is a connection between this and slow broadband then perhaps I will have to wait until that's sorted.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
7 REPLIES 7
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Caller Display

@Minivanman wrote:

I've have had caller display for some time now but ever since problems with low broadband speed which BT are still trying to sort out, it has disappeared. Is there any connection between the two?

Almost certainly. The caller display device responds to an audio data signal sent by the exchange immediately prior to the application of ringing current. Any slight corruption, or substantial attenuation of that signal will prevent correct operation.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Minivanman
Legend

Thanks for your reply. Plusnet have now informed me that BT have now 'fixed' the problem but I still not getting caller display even though that activation number has been dialled and accepted. More than a little annoyed as I am still being charged for the service and the line rental. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are you satisfied that BT really have sorted out the low speed problem?

If they have the quickest way to get Caller Display working again might be for Plusnet to cancel the service then order it again once the cancellation order completes.

David
Minivanman
Legend

Thanks for the reply David and no, BT have not sorted out the slow speed problem which has been ongoing for at least four months now. What I was trying to establish was as suspected, that there was some connection (excuse the pun) between no caller display and a broadband speed of well under 1mbps.

"Noise on the line" according to BT and not unlike "leaves on the line" from what was British Rail! 

When fibre finally becomes available, presumably the same line is used for both the phone and broadband signal?     

Herman Melville
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there. Sorry to hear your caller display doesn't work. I've re raised the fault with our suppliers and I will call them today to ensure the fault progresses to an engineer.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Minivanman
Legend

Thanks for your reply Anoush but as you may see from my previous post it seems to be something to do with my very low broadband speed so perhaps that needs to be sorted first? Trouble is of course my phone is no longer able to intercept those nuisance calls - had two already this week! 

Herman Melville
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Agreed, I'm sorry that your speed has still not been resolved. I've passed your fault ticket back to our broadband faults team to investigate further.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button