cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller Display Intermittently Not Working

rascalscastles

Caller Display Intermittently Not Working

Hello,
I have the caller ID feature on my landline, but sometimes it doesnt work......
I have a Siemens S685ip phone with a voipfone and sipgate phone number too, but caller display works from them every time.
I have tested calling my landline today from my mobile a few times it displaid the number and a few times it just came up on the screen as EXTERNAL FOR FIXED LINE.
Anyone have any ideas why?
When I press 1471 after the call it gives the number?
Thanks
Nathan Thompson
Rascals Castles
http://www.RascalsCastles.co.uk
16 REPLIES 16
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Caller Display Intermittently Not Working

Hi RascalsCastles,
Have you tried a different caller display unit? It's also worth plugging directly into the test socket as there could be interference from other equipment.
Jojo Smiley
josiejohn

I have the same problem.sometimes I get the number showing and other times I dont.I find this annoying as some calls are very important (hospital appointments) and others are sales calls.also a friend calls from America and their number does not show,why?will they be able to phone now I have blocked callers whos number isnt shown ? Undecided
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi josiejohn,
Not all calls will show depending on the caller. Often switchboards from organisations like hospitals will not show a number and depending on your equipment overseas calls will either not show or show as international. If you've blocked receiving calls from withheld numbers then the caller will get a message to say that you do not accept such calls.
Jojo Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

on one of my hospitals the extension number is displayed but not the main number, another  hospital comes up as number withheld, and international comes up as that , and some as unavailable.  even dialling 1471 the BT message on all those calls say the same
So you are taking a chance blocking calls, although some I dont care.  Mother in law comes up as withheld
JoJo do any landlines show international, I know Mobiles do
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: pierre_pierre
JoJo do any landlines show international, I know Mobiles do

AFAIK they don't show the number, but some equipment displays it as international, unless there's some equipment out there that does.
Jojo Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thats was me reading your first answer wrong
Mine just came up International, out of area - didnt like my police type siren and hung up, 1471 came up as number unavailable unable to return call
My problem is two family in Australia, one in New Zealand, two in France and one in the US, so no way an I block International
TheIslander
Grafter

Mines says out of area when my relations call from the Rep of Ireland, but they get my number at their end.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Only time I've had intermittent caller ID it turned out to be a faulty master socket.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
TheIslander
Grafter

Cheap or worn out ADSL filters can cause problems with caller display.
BRABUS
Grafter

I have just been reading this thread with interest.

I moved from BT to Plus net on 19th December and my caller id was working fine up until then.  I have been away pretty much since as soon as I moved the phone to plus net so I assume my called id hasn't worked since day 1.  is this normal for people to move to Plus Net and caller id not to work?
I have included a screen shot as it shows it as selected  Huh
Anyway I have just rung and logged a call (3/1/2012 @ 11:50).  I spoke to a nice chap called (it was my dogs name - cant mention his real name due to forum rules  Cool ), he has informed me that to get it to work that he has to turn the fucntion off and then turn it back on again in 24 hours.  How odd, I hope it fixes it.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@BRABUS
Did the caller display get switched back on OK today for you?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BRABUS
Grafter

I will have to wait until I get home from work to check.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, the order completed fine so it should be OK, let me know if not.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BRABUS
Grafter

Adam I have just checked the caller display for incoming call sand that works fine  - thanks very much.

However I am just getting on the phone to see what the heck is going on with regard to with holding my number.  I was assured by James Bailey yesterday that this would be sorted as a matter of urgency as it is so very important.  This should be with held for all calls but allowing us to show this number to family using the 1470 prefix.