Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller Display / Caller ID

mar7t1n
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Caller Display / Caller ID

I'm sure I read somewhere that Caller Display was now free with PlusNet, but the tariff chart is showing it as 99p per month. I hardly use the phone for outbound calls, really appreciate Caller ID so I don't have to talk to overseas people trying to flog me stuff I don't want, don't need and will never buy. If CID is free it would make PlusNet competitive with BT especially as evening calls and PlusNet friends would then be included. If not then BT remains better as their Caller display is included free of charge.
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Caller Display / Caller ID

It's not free  Sad
Regarding BT have a read here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,87491.0.html
Not applicable

I currently have caller display 'free' with BT as part of the Privacy at Home package. I have to make a couple of
chargeable calls per month to maintain this (have the Anytime product).
jmd
Grafter

I don't pay anything for caller display now I am with Sky.............[and my anytime calls are free for 3 months so don't pay for calls for 3 mths then it is £5 per month]
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: poppy
I currently have caller display 'free' with BT as part of the Privacy at Home package. I have to make a couple of
chargeable calls per month to maintain this (have the Anytime product).

Poppy you don't need to make any chargeable calls as you have  package Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mar7t1n
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well BT remains slightly cheaper then. Just had my bill - £0.00 of chargeable calls because the few outbound calls I did make were at the weekend. Caller ID is free with BT as long as you make chargeable or inclusive calls via BT. Ie don't start using a 3d party.
So it's £12.79 a month - less £1.25 paper free billing discount. So £11.54 a month with BT. PlusNet would be £11.25 + £0.99 for CallerID so £12.24. They would give me free evening calls but as already stated hardly use the phone so there is little point. And if all else fails the free broadband phone works fairly well.
Not applicable

you don't need to make any chargeable calls as you have  package

Have heard this before but please could you check out THIS which does seem to indicate that one has to make two chargeable calls per month even if subscribing to Anytime?
The attachment below is taken from that page.
Am I misinterpreting it?  I haven't made any chargeable calls this month and have not been alerted to it by BT so would really like confirmation.
I am not sure why companies have to charge for caller display anyway - I wonder what it actually costs them?
itsme
Grafter

How can you make chargeable calls when on an Anytime package?  I believe it's a very badly worded conditions by BT and so long that your calls are routed across BT network and you are not using a prefix to be billed by a third party you will meet the conditions.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

call a mobile  Grin
itsme
Grafter

Just a random mobile number.  Wink
Not applicable

You can do it by calling a mobile, one of the 08 numbers (0871/0844) or by dialing a prefix number to make a geographical call chargeable. I think it is 1280 or similar.
The problem is remembering to do one of these and then putting the receiver straight down so only the connection is charged.
Have read on a forum today that some people have had the service stopped without warning because they failed to make the chargeable calls. Not sure whether they are still so strict about it though in the face of stiff competition from Sky etc.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
I am not sure why companies have to charge for caller display anyway - I wonder what it actually costs them?

Very close to 99p per month unfortunately.
We decided to make the most popular call feature free last year when we refreshed our Home Phone products, the most popular feature was (and is) by far Voicemail, hence that being free. Call display was second, hence the cheaper price of 99p.
Our phone products are very competitive if you actually make calls, and will be even more so when the BT prices go up.
Personally I never use my landline, which is I think the case with more and more people these days.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Poppy there have been months when I haven't made any chargeable calls and haven't had to pay for caller id or had it stopped, I'm on the anytime package too Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Not applicable

Mand - from what I have read of the BT price hikes mine won't be affected (could have read it wrongly however). Also, I wonder if PN will have to raise prices in line with BT but at a later date?
As regards mobile this does seem to be the case more and more these days. There are so many occasions when people only give you their mobile number which is very costly for people who do not have mobile telephone packages. I'm a bit cheeky - I ask them to call me back as my PAYG might run out! 
Adiewoo - interesting to know that you have been OK not making any calls.  In view of this as an experiment if I don't need to make any chargeable calls I won't purposely make any just to see what happens.
Mand
Grafter

There's nothing planned at the moment, but obviously I can't say we won't follow suit in the future.