cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call protect warning - it could kill you!

neilamartin
Dabbler

Call protect warning - it could kill you!

Call Protect just "protected" me from a callback from NHS111. Please note that I do NOT have anonymous call reject, so it was definitely Call Protect that prevented a nurse from calling me. She said she had an automated message that anonymous calls were not accepted by my phone.

I wonder if this "feature" has contributed to any deaths already?

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Call protect warning - it could kill you!

It is a feature of call blockers that depending on the settings that calls from witheld numbers and/or automated diallers are either screened or blocked.

I do not use Plusnet's system but have a phone that has a built in BT TruCall blocker. This screens calls by blocking automated diallers and witheld or unknown numbers by requiring unknown callers to identify themself before passing the call through. I would definitely recommend that you get one if the Plusnet free option puts you in fear of your life! 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

What we do not know is where the call was made from.

What I just do not understand why my GP practice does not present their number and the local hospital is the same. Setting the "exchange" to present the "switchboard" number as default should be a one minute job.

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@neilamartin 

You can tailor how Plusnet Call Protect works and so can switch off the option to block all withheld number calls. Here is a pdf file showing the options:

The management is done via the telephone keypad.

Hope this helps.

neilamartin
Dabbler

Thanks jgb.

I didn't know that I could adjust Call Protect settings. And, if I had known it, I would not have predicted that there would be a pandemic and I would be in need of medical attention out of hours and NHS111 would have taken over the out of hours GP service and I would need a call-back. And so I would likely not have adjusted my settings appropriately in any case.

So my WARNING to others is valid and relevant.

In my case, by the way, I thought to give a backup number (my mobile phone).

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @neilamartin,

The Plusnet call protect allows you to block international numbers, withheld numbers and/or unrecognised numbers.

These settings can be adjusted by dialing 1572 and selecting the relevant option Block categories.

If you do not wish to receive calls from withheld numbers however your health care services use this to communicate with you, the only other option we can advise that may help is Bt guardian.

I have updated your account further here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
neilamartin
Dabbler

Thanks, SammyM

It's nice of you to take the trouble to come up with a potential solution to having something like Call Protect and yet still being able to receive calls from healthcare services. Thank you.

My post, though, was to warn others that Call Protect could 'protect' them from potentially life-saving services. That's a really serious problem, that nobody could really be expected to forsee.

But, now that Plusnet is aware of it, I am sure it will update its information and guidance regarding the Call Protect service. And, of course, anyone reading this forum will know about it 🙂

Best wishes, Neil

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

You definitely did the right thing in alerting us and our customers, thank you.

I have flagged this to the relevant team to look into.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes @neilamartin 

I agree with @SammyM - when I've had to use the NHS, I've never used that service, but I can understand the concern.

Worrying if it did or could cause someone harm. So you did the right thing by letting all of us on here know.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

I'm glad to hear this has already been flagged up by my colleague and if there's anything further we can assist you with then please don't hesitate getting back in touch.