Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call protect - local area code

FIXED
C-A-W
Grafter

Call protect - local area code

I've got call protect set up on my elderly mother's phone and blocked withheld numbers, but I think some nuisance calls are still getting through. I'm trying to see what I can do to make the protection stronger, but the problem is that I live four hours drive away, and my mum has lost the ability to learn new things, so asking her to access a voicemail or press a button after getting a call she doesn't like isn't going to work.

Added to that, she has family abroad and a few friends/family members who might call from elsewhere in the UK.

What I'd like to do is add the numbers I know to a whitelist (which I gather I can only do by physically travelling to my mum's house, and using her handset). I'd then like to block all numbers EXCEPT local area numbers, so that her friends locally can still call her.

Is that possible with call protect?

6 REPLIES 6
C-A-W
Grafter

Re: Call protect - local area code

And also - I'd like to see a list of numbers that have called her (as opposed to numbers that she has called). Is that possible though the web interface anywhere?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Fix

Hi C-A-W,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm really sorry to hear that your Mum is experiencing nuisance calls.

Unfortunately, the functionality that you've requested (including the white list) isn't available within Plusnet Call Protect. The feature allows you to block specific numbers, or, specific types of number (withheld, international etc) but does not offer the facility to exclude specific sets of numbers whilst allowing a separate set of contacts.

I genuinely sympathise with the situation that you and your Mum are in and I wish there was more that I could do to protect her from these calls. If she was to contact us directly, we may be able to offer to change her phone number as a last resort, but Plusnet Call Protect can only currently offer the functions I've detailed above.

In terms of acquiring numbers that have called your Mum, we don't store this info (we aren't legally allowed to) but individual numbers could be obtained by dialling 1471 after the call.

Best wishes

Dave

C-A-W
Grafter

Thank you. It looks like PlusNet Call Protect isn't going to be strong enough for her then, because she isn't able to cope with trying to block numbers. I would just change her number, but I'm worried about cutting her off from her wider circle of friends and acquaintances. Thanks anyway.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @C-A-W

The Truecall call blocker supports number whitelisting.

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/117.htm

However, it is rather expensive at £119 with p&p not included.

It is available for a small reduction in price on Amazon and inclusive of p&p if you have Amazon prime.

Regards

Richard

C-A-W
Grafter

Thank you - yes it looks as if that what I need - the ability to set up whitelisting is the most important thing.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Or a BT8600 at £69....I use this one.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine