Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call protect getting dodgy

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Call protect getting dodgy

Posted previously about an unavailable getting through. Just had an international get through. Is call protect not working properly or are the scum finding ways round it?

PT

4 REPLIES 4
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Call protect getting dodgy

I have had this as well; I suspect that the scum are indeed getting smarter (as you put it) but that may not be happening here.

When this happened to me there was a number displayed. I wonder if what may happen is that if caller ID is showing a number - even an international number - then the system doesn't block the call, unless that number is on the black list. But it will block anything that caller ID displays as 'International' (if that is set in the options).

But I have no idea how or when caller ID shows a number rather than saying 'international'. I suppose it is possible that it isn't really an international call and what we are seeing is a spoofed number. If so, we are back to the scum getting smarter....

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Yes, same here. A number was displayed alongside International. However, call blocker did not know about any number as it said I couldn't block it as it was unavailable. I guess call protect needs to keep getting smarter to stay ahead of the scum!

salmo
Rising Star

Only had call protect for just over a week and no nuisance calls until today when an international call beginning 005354 got through. I have added it to my blocked numbers. Lots of complaints about this number in the last couple of days on who called me. Looks like the ratbags are finding ways around call blocking as I've checked that I've still got international and unrecognised calls blocked.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@PhyllisTyne

Posted previously about an unavailable getting through. Just had an international get through. Is call protect not working properly or are the scum finding ways round it?

Yes I think you may be right. I kept getting calls from a number which showed up on my CLID as something like 0123456789012. Luckily it went away after a few days, but I would imagine it can be faked, getting around this.