cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call protect blocks two-step authentication services (Google/Microsoft).

mpmc
Grafter

Call protect blocks two-step authentication services (Google/Microsoft).

Hi there,

Since enabling call protect, we've discovered that MORE spam calls are getting through, we had none when with BT! Even worse is that it appears to be blocking two-step auth services from Microsoft and Google. Which means I can't login to my e-mails if I have to do the two-step auth. I've since disabled it - just waiting for it to take effect.

Sad 

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Call protect blocks two-step authentication services (Google/Microsoft).

Sorry to hear you're having issues with Call Protect.

Since enabling call protect, we've discovered that MORE spam calls are getting through, we had none when with BT! 

Unfortunately due to the nature of nuisance calls there's not much we can do to guarantee that they won't get through to you. Have you tried dialling 1572 and adding the numbers who are calling to a block list? Assuming they're not withheld.

Even worse is that it appears to be blocking two-step auth services from Microsoft and Google. Which means I can't login to my e-mails if I have to do the two-step auth.

I've raised this with our products team and I'll update you when I hear back.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mpmc
Grafter

Thanks for the reply @Gandalf

Since turning it off two-step auth systems are now getting through OK.

I've been adding them to my own (blocking) system even though adding those numbers to a block list is pointless - they never use the same number. At the moment these calls seem to be a text-to-speech system claiming to be from our provider BT, apparently our computer is compromised and then to press a number to speak to someone. I know this is a load of rubbish so hang up. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear they're now getting through okay.

As soon as we have a update from our products team we'll let you know

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mpmc
Grafter

Weirdly, the robo calls have stopped! So they've either given up or the call protect is backwards 😛

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Happy to hear they've stopped calling you. Thumbs_Up

Our products team have come back advising that blocking the two-step authentication services (Google/Microsoft) certainly isn't intended. The call feature will block call types you've chosen to have blocked, or individual numbers if you add them to the list. There's also a setting to block numbers that we recommend be blocked.

However, you should be able to override any of these settings by adding a number to your VIP list.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet