cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call charged when shouldn't have been

Mav
Fixes: 514

Call charged when shouldn't have been

Rather than resurrect this thread I thought it best to start a new one but feel free to merge if deemed better.
On 22 August at 15:29:46 I rang SWMBO's mobile - two rings then hung up as usual. She never answers the call as she knows it costs so she rings me back (also, her mobile is deep in her bag and would take far more than two rings to get to it).
I note I've been charged 26p for this call yet shouldn't have and I'd certainly remember if the call had been answered either by herself or voicemail. She is on O2 by the way.
Could some look into this, please?
Edit: Under the list of calls there is an asterisk and the words Queried call. How do you actually raise a queried call? Asking Jess was no use:
Your Question: Queried call
Before you call, have you tried asking me for help?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

63 REPLIES 63
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Call charged when shouldn't have been

Hi Mav,
I've had a look at the raw call data to see the duration of the call and it was 1 second which is therefore rounded up to 1 minute.
There are various things that could've happened to cause the call to connect - it could've gone to Voicemail due to no signal (depending on what mobile settings are on), if the phone's in the bottom of her bag then it may have gotten knocked and accidentally answered/rejected. If the call was rejected it may have gone to Voicemail.
I'm sorry if this causes any inconvenience.
petecov44
Grafter

But this is rubbish.
If it rings twice and you hang up how can it go anywhere? It's not right that someone is charged 26p for a call that was not connected. I've got the same on my bill last month for the same thing.
And you wonder why people dump their landlines as soon as they can - it's less used so it'e becoming a rip off in both line rental and calls. Obviously the pound of flesh needs to be gotten still even if it's 1 ring and hang up.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your input Pete, however, even if it connects to Voicemail that is still recorded as the call connecting and will therefore charge you, regardless of if you hang up the second it connects. If this is an issue the only way to stop this from happening is to ask the person you're calling to change their Voicemail settings to disable it so that the call never goes through.
EDIT: Pete, you commented on this after you were informed on this post that if a call connects to Voicemail it's charged - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130479.16.html
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Ah, I fondly remember a time when there was no 'call connection charge' and calls were charged per second rather than rounded up to whole minutes, back then these kind of issues would have been trivial because the charge would be very small.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
petecov44
Grafter

Well I have 2 days to notify if I want to leave or not.
I am happy BUT today my mobile is porting and I rang it 3 times and each time got told the number was not available
IF I am charged for these calls then I will be off to a line rental only service without calls.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can't comment on if a call to a mobile returning a message stating that the number isn't available will be charged, however, you can check this tomorrow on your itemised bill.
petecov44
Grafter

I also rang my mobile 4 times and hung up, I will be watching for that also.
I will check, and go from there.
Mav

For the first time in almost 12 years of being a PlusNet customer I felt quite angry at Lynn's reply which I deemed to be both dismissive and condescending.
Quote from: Linn
Hi Mav,
I've had a look at the raw call data to see the duration of the call and it was 1 second which is therefore rounded up to 1 minute.

I just did some tests ringing my wife's mobile from my mobile (had to go quite a distance to do this as I do not have a signal at home). It rings 10 times before going to voicemail - I only ever let it ring twice! If she doesn't hear/feel it in that time she will eventually notice the missed call and ring me back.
There are various things that could've happened to cause the call to connect - it could've gone to Voicemail due to no signal (depending on what mobile settings are on), if the phone's in the bottom of her bag then it may have gotten knocked and accidentally answered/rejected. If the call was rejected it may have gone to Voicemail.

A very patronising reply and I have covered the voicemail bit above. Being a Galaxy S3 the only way to answer it is by swiping the green phone icon from left to right. I would say that would be virtual impossible in her bag in it's leather wallet.
I'm sorry if this causes any inconvenience.
This is not an inconvenience  - it is plain wrong to be charged for this call.
I remember reading in another thread that this seems to happen more when ringing the O2 network. Forgive me if I've got that wrong but, even so, this needs PlusNet to investigate further.
I have done the same thing when getting my daughter to ring me who is on EE/T-Mobile and haven't (yet) been charged.
My last point wasn't even addressed.
Quote from: Mav

Edit: Under the list of calls there is an asterisk and the words Queried call. How do you actually raise a queried call? Asking Jess was no use:
Your Question: Queried call
Before you call, have you tried asking me for help?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

petecov44
Grafter

Yup, pretty crappy.
Let's hope this gets sorted soon.
picbits
Rising Star

If your wife was temporarily in a blackspot, it could have cut off the call and directed to voicemail at the same time as you hung up (that would explain the 1 second).
Did she recall if she had a missed call on her phone ?
Mav

@Dom S Just checked her phone and there is no missed or accepted call at the time I was charged. She doesn't know how to access voicemail so I have just checked and there are no voicemail messages whatsoever.

picbits
Rising Star

That sounds very much like there was a network issue or lack of signal so it went straight to the voicemail (which you didn't leave a message on so can't confirm this) hence the connection charge.
Very wrong in my eyes but technically not Plusnet's fault as the O2 system would have flagged a connection which would have started the BT billing system for that call.
Mav

Are you suggesting that if she was in a signal blackspot then the 10 rings before going to voicemail is somehow bypassed and it can go to voicemail after two rings? Seems unlikely to me but maybe someone could clarify if that really is the case. If so, what's the point of setting up for 10 rings? Wink

picbits
Rising Star

I know with my wife's phone occasionally it will go straight to voicemail if it is turned off or she hits the reject call button. I've also had it go straight to voicemail when she has been in a blackspot but can't confirm if O2 phones will do this.
The lack of record on your wife's phone to say she missed your call points to it going straight to voicemail or the O2 systems having a glitch where the call did not connect but it flagged it as a connected call.
Maybe give O2 a nudge and see if their records show any incoming calls from you at that time and why the flagged it as chargeable ?