cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call blocking on phone?

Cullers

Call blocking on phone?

I've just come over to Plusnet from Talktalk and previous to that Sky.  I have a BT phone which used to block calls from withheld and not available numbers. This doesn't seem to work since plusnet took over my line?
And idea why or what I need to do to reactivate it?
5 REPLIES 5
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Call blocking on phone?

Go to the Home Phone Control Panel here -
https://portal.plus.net/plustalk/index.php?page=wlr_add_call_features
and sign up for caller display - £0·99 per month.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
catelliott
Grafter

Hi Cullers Smiley
We also offer a feature to block withheld numbers called Anonymous Call Reject, which is £4 per month. You should be able to add this via the Home Phone Control panel on the Member Centre.
Freddy999

Hi Cat, may I ask a related question?
It's becoming obvious that many (foreign mainly) organisations are getting around the user blocking of 'withheld' numbers by deliberately making their numbers 'unavailable'. I received 6 such calls yesterday; I do have caller display and anonymous caller reject on PlusNet.
When I was with BT I spoke with one of their technicians who said 'unavailable' calls cannot be blocked by BT as their source cannot be identified.
Assuming this is also the case with PlusNet it appears that the only way to bock these 'unavailable' calls is via the handset itself.
Does anybody know of a handset which will block such calls? I can understand the mechanics of blocking a specific numeric number but can you input and block an alpha number such UNAVAILABLE?
Fred
catelliott
Grafter

Hello Freddy999, of course you may! Smiley
As you've pointed out, Anonymous Call Reject doesn't block withheld international numbers, unfortunately. It's something to do with how exchanges outside of the UK identify the caller. Caller Display with definitely help you to identify these calls, however Cheesy
hiflier
Grafter

Freddy999
You might want to check out the BT 8500 handsets. These have the ability, using caller display, to block many different types of call. I bought a twin pack a few months ago, and our PPI, Insurance claim and similar calls have gone from annoying to virtually zero.
Regards,
Ian.