cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Blocking

kelvin
Grafter

Call Blocking

I moved to PlusNet broadband about 10 days ago and my phone is transferred to them next week. Do PlusNet offer call blocking - particularly for International marketing calls? I have had a look on the web site and cannot see anything. I am now at home most of the day and am getting 4 or 5 of these calls a day. I don't answer as I have caller display but still check just in case it is a call from a known number.
16 REPLIES 16
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Call Blocking

There is an option @£4/month for it in the phone control panel.
I use a CPR Callblocker to kill all the spam calls (£40 one off payment)
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I believe that Hairy Biker is referring to Anonymous Call Reject. It seems that this will not meet your needs. I recommend buying a caller blocking device such as CPR (cheaper) or TrueCall (more facilities).
The product descriptions says
"Anonymous Call Reject
Block any calls from 'witheld numbers'. The caller will hear a message explaining why the call has been blocked.
This feature won't block calls where the incoming number is 'unavailable' (i.e. the caller has not made any attempt to 'withhold' their number). This can happen in a number of cases (e.g. if the incoming call is made from an overseas provider)."
kelvin
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. I will look into the suggestions and also a BT 6500 phone which supposedly can stop international calls and up to 12 others that can be programmed in
NedLudd
Grafter

Have a look at some Panasonics too. They have call blocking!
Geoff,
York.
Cannygirl49

Quote from: Hairy
There is an option @£4/month for it in the phone control panel.
I use a CPR Callblocker to kill all the spam calls (£40 one off payment)

Does the CPR call blocker work with Plus net?  I had one which worked well before I changed to Plus net from BT.but since the changeover it has blocked ALL calls.  Any advice?
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

No, but I have a stupid question: Can you confirm that you have caller display activated?
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Cannygirl49

Quote from: PeeGee
No, but I have a stupid question: Can you confirm that you have caller display activated?

Just realised that I do not have Caller display activated on Plus Net - did with BT.  Could that make the difference?  It is causing marital disharmony at the moment.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I've no experience with call blocking hardware, but it must need CLI data to check the incoming call Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Yes it REQUIRES CID. It works fine on my PN line. Generates a small laugh when I see INTERNATIONAL briefly appear on the handset.  Cheesy
Johnelf

Hi All
I have Panasonic top of range Dect phone about £65 for a pair.
They can block 30 numbers, so your phone doesn't even ring, they just go straight to answer phone
Brilliant feature
John  Crazy
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Had the BT6510 call blocking phone plugged in for a week now, only 1 annoying call has got through so far as it was from a Leed's call centre but that was soon added to the phones block list.
We used to get between 3 & 8 annoying calls per day, I think this new BT phone is brilliant  Cool
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Got an email from Plusnet:
Dear Jeremy Boden,
The following extensions on your account have not been used within the past 60 days and have therefore been restricted from making chargeable calls to the PSTN.
Ext 9999999 - "Jeremy Boden"
Please check the phones which are assigned to these extensions, and that they are registered and still receiving calls.  Information about phone registrations is available in your VoIP control panel.  Once you have verified the status of these phones, please re-enable the Allow PSTN access checkbox against the extension details.

What does it all mean?
I haven't used the free VOIP for years - but I'd like to keep it.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Afternoon,
Basically it's a fraud prevention measure from our suppliers - outbound calling has been disabled on VoIP extension numbers that haven't been used in the past couple of months. If they're left on and active and an account is compromised, basically it means it can't be abused.
If you only use your VoIP account to receive incoming calls or to call other VoIP numbers, then there's nothing to worry about. If you do want to make outgoing calls to landlines though you'll need to log in to your VoIP control panel and tick the box mentioned - calls to landlines will use your account's credit though.
Hope that helps explain.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It was from when Plusnet offered a free 240 minutes local calls per month via SIP.  Cheesy
I've retained it through the various iterations of services - since 05/09/2007  Grin Grin
Pity you can't just say "dial a number" - the configuration is a pig.
So although I haven't used it - I might just do so (one day).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."