cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Barring / Blocking Mobile Phone Calls from landline

waynemorrell
Grafter

Re: Call Barring / Blocking Mobile Phone Calls from landline

Just to add my name to the list of customers who would welcome call barring.
I wonder why PN do not offer it ?
The software is certainly present on the exchange as it is at BT line in effect.
Aliquant
Grafter

Quote from: glancammarch
reducing the credit limit to just a few pounds and disabling the line when the credit is used up and until I top it up again would be ideal (without additional penalties!)

I wouldn't hold your breath. They just charged me £100 when I have a £55 credit limit. It seems limits only apply when they want them to..
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi AliT,
I've had a look at your latest invoice and itemised bill and I can't see any issues there, please let me know if you think they're incorrect in some way?
Aliquant
Grafter

Hi Matt, the problem is with the credit limit, not the itemised calls. With all the warnings and promises of emails when you get close to your credit limit that we see on the information available on the website, it seems PN sometimes don't bother and allow customers to go over their limit with no warning. Because of this my latest call charges were £97 when I had a £55 limit - imposed but not enforced by PN.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, odd - from what I can see, you had to make a top up payment to your home phone credit on the 16th and then were charged the remainder on your billing date? That's the system working as designed, you wouldn't have been able to make any more outgoing calls if you hadn't topped up the credit limit earlier in the month.
Aliquant
Grafter

No, that's not what happened.
The first I knew that the bill was that high was when I received an email saying I had made £97 worth of calls and would be barred from making further calls unless I topped up.
I did not receive any prior warnings, and my phone was clearly not blocked before this otherwise I would not have been able to make those calls.
I did top up within an hour of receiving that email as I was concerned about needing to use the phone in an emergency. However my phone was still functioning at that point, and that is why I was able to run up a £97 phone bill in the first place.
I did raise a ticket tryong to get someone to explain how this happened. All I keep getting told is "the calls were made, pay for them" without any explanation as to how a £55 credit limit was allowed to be breached.
Matt, if you can help out in any way I'd really appreciate it, I'd resigned myself to getting no further response or assistance from PN but if you can help I'd appreciate it.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, I see what you're saying - beg pardon.
The issue in this case is that a lot of calls were made in a very short time on the same day. As we process calls overnight each night, unfortunately this won't show until the following day - hence the sudden warning and the fact that you went over the limit by quite a large amount.
I'm afraid I don't think there's much we can do about this situation - I'll happily raise it but in order to catch situations like this we'd need to be processing calls and allocating them to accounts in pretty much real time which isn't really feasible.
Aliquant
Grafter

And that's why I've chosen to not take PN with me when I move house shortly.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can understand that, though am sorry we can't do anything to prevent it. If you were able to avoid that many calls in a single day period you should be fine and this shouldn't happen again, but I can see how that might not be enough.
coffee

Could someone from plusnet let me know how to hide my outgoing number when making calls from my landline?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

If you want to do this for individual calls then dial 141 before the number you wish to call. Or if you wish this can be applied permanently to your account, with the option of entering a 4 digit code before the number you dial, this would then show your number only for that call.
If you would like to do this please <a href="https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?p=wizard&page=22931&wizard_id=38/">raise a ticket</a>.
Let me know if there's anything else.
Chris
greswold888

Shocked  Cry  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE allow me to block 118 numbers.
I switched to Plusnet because talk talk didnt do anything about carers who come to my mums house to deliver care and used phone 118 numbers and I ended up paying £50 over 3 months - these 118 numbers should be treatd same as 09 numbers as they are EXTREMELY expensive and disabled households who have different carers coming in should be able to block use of ANY range of numbers.
Thank you and I hope Plusnet will listen and provide a facility very soon.
If it does, I will tell EVERYONE to switch also.
Wink
Regards.  greswold888.  Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I'm afraid we can't do this, sorry about that. In addition I believe 118 118 and other related numbers aren't covered by premium rate call barring unfortunately.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

But they are blockable by BT on VOIP  so is it applicable to a normal phone line
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

From earlier in this thread
Quote from: Matt
Anyone else interested in this please do add to this thread, we've flagged it now for management attention so the more interest we have the better.