Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable outside

FIXED
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Cable outside

Mook lol - I think this thread's so long that the top post has got forgotten.  There's nothing wrong with them at all except that in a split second an intruder could be in my tiny front garden and have cut my phone wire outside before the camera would have even registered movement.  Once the phone wire is cut, none of these things can work since they are internet dependent.  Hence I was asking if there was a way I could get openreach to protect my phone cable a bit better.  That was the entire purpose of this post.  While workarounds are useful to hear about and consider, I don't want to totally lose my original question.

BTW that system you suggested also needs internet to be up if it is going to alert in realtime.  Just went and checked it out.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I'm thinking of one or two possibilities which needn't involve BTOR - but first can you post a picture or two showing how the line is routed into the house?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

It goes up the drainpipe then carries along my gas pipe which is about 10ft high so that's not a problem.  It's the top junction box that is BT, the other is some defunct cable service

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @IngeJones,

Thanks for getting back to us, I appreciate the update..

I'm really sorry as I have looked into this further for you, regrettably Plusnet cannot arrange this as it falls outside the provisioning or faults work remit we can ask Openreach to do. You would be better served asking a local contractor to quote you for the work you require, as you could then also specify exactly what your requirements are.

Thanks - LF

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Is that a realistic approach?

This is cable is pre-NTE so it’s entirely within BTOR’s domain.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@IngeJones  Thanks for the images - that makes the situation much clearer, and shows that any ideas I had about re-routing are not feasible.

I can't see any alternative to biting the bullet and asking BTOR if they can offer a solution. They don't normally deal with the end user, of course, but in this particular kind of situation, I can't see why they wouldn't regard you as a customer requiring an Infrastructure Solution.

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

But anyway that demonstrates that I am not completely exaggerating to say that the installation just screams "disconnect me first!"  to anyone who wants to do something naughty around the property.  If it wasn't just by a gate we need to use, I could have stuck a tall shrub in front of it but the whole thing is very awkwardly positioned.

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Just a follow up to this.  Someone from openreach took a look at the problem and said it could be sorted but it would need to be arranged via plusnet, and that is something that they would expect plusnet to be able to arrange for me.  Not yet committed to this idea as we all know it's going to be pretty costly, but I did want to make the point that plusnet really shouldn't refuse to organise this sort of work for a customer if requested.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@IngeJones wrote:

...that is something that they would expect plusnet to be able to arrange for me.

Indeed.

Looking more closely at the text in the link I provided in Message #21, it would appear that they are perfectly willing to provide an "infrastructure solution" for the end user when requested by the service provider.

If you would like to place an order with infrastructure solutions (independent of a provision order) with us on behalf of your customer...

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us @IngeJones 

Apologies for the delayed staff response.

I’ve been looking into this and the contact details for Openreach you’ve been provided in the link above look very much like for a CP (Communication Provider) such as ourselves. 

As far as I’m aware if we arrange this, what you’re wanting to be done would need to be on the back of an order (This is compared to a fault report because the types of faults we can raise are if there’s a fault with your service, there’s damage to the Openreach infrastructure or there’s an internal wiring issue, the latter would be a chargeable visit and an engineer would likely just fit a new master socket to isolate any internal wiring)

For an existing line, the only order we can place that would task an engineer out is an ‘internal shift’ which is normally for master socket relocations and this costs £160.

There‘s obviously another option, for us to place a new provision/line installation order as if you were a brand new customer but I think that’s a bit like cracking open a walnut with a sledgehammer with no guarantee you’d get the end result you’re after and it’d likely involve a second account too.

I’m not confident this is the way to go so I’ve been doing a bit of digging and I’ve come across This which looks a lot more ‘customer facing’ and the team you contact using the details this webpage provides should be able to help. 

Let us know how it goes. I hope this helps. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

So you got your Fixed badge from me today after all Tongue

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Excellent! Cheesy

Let me know if there’s anything else you’d need help with (Eager for another fix... Tongue)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@Gandalf wrote:

...I’ve been doing a bit of digging and I’ve come across This which looks a lot more ‘customer facing’...

Looks like the perfect entry point - well dug!  😊

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)