cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable fault North Devon - Barnstaple / Fremington Area 16 March 2015

peteruff

Cable fault North Devon - Barnstaple / Fremington Area 16 March 2015

My home Phone has been down for 7 days now, last monday morning 16th March, apparantly a common cable fault somewhere in the area,
zero feedback on estimate for restoration from openreach so far,
fibre broadband is fine, just phone service impacted
anyone else in the area got the same issue, would like to see what expereince is, trying to get some idea of the extent of the impact and build up a picture of what is happening
11 REPLIES 11
catelliott
Grafter

Re: Cable fault North Devon - Barnstaple / Fremington Area 16 March 2015

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your phone line. Having looked at the account, I can see that our faults team is handling the case, and someone should be in touch with an update soon. I'm sorry I can't give any further information at this stage, but unfortunately, the suppliers haven't offered any updates to us Sad
peteruff

Good Morning Cat,
Yes, I think your response sums it up, openreach are not communicating anything,
which is not (in my humble opinion) unfortunate, I would suggest it is extremely poor customer service/relations on thier behalf.
hence my attempt to see if anyone else in the community is affected.
8 days so far, no feedback.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just checked for updates on this and the latest is showing as 'resourcing cable gang' to replace '385m of cable'. Sorry I've got no more news at the moment, but our faults team will contact Openreach directly for further updates.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Chris,
Is there a BT PEW which users can be pointed to so that they can look for progress themselves?

@Peter,
Welcome to the forums.  As you are gathering from time to time there are major cable faults impacting several users across numerous providers.  In such situations BT are not overly good at keeping individual providers or subscribers updated on progress - or lack thereof.  In some circumstances permission to close roads will have needed to be requested and obtained of local councils which can take more time than it should.  Cold news for you, but hopefully Chris can point you at an information resource you can self monitor.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

peteruff

hello Chris,
thanks for your welcome,
my objective for this thread , was not to bash openreach (honestly  promise) : rather,  just to get a straw poll if anyone else in this community is impacted
it would seem not, although a neighbour 4 doors down  from me on sky is having the same issue.
I do deal with openreach in another  capacity, so well versed, & living the dream
for what it is worth, I find thier engineers,  professional, courteous, and pretty helpful
if anyone else  on the community is watching, and has the same issue......
I am informed that work should start on 30th March, to replace the faulty cable  it appears this might need traffic lights for the job,
corss fingers.
anyone who commutes along the B3223 between Fremington and Barnstaple, keep an eye out,
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Peter,
If a party is guilty, then bash away.  Roll_eyes
Your quite fair points about no communication seemed to express reasonable end user frustration with PlusNET - what I sought to explain (from personal experience of a major cable failure) is that BTOR are really bad at keeping providers informed in such situations.  In my case there was no association with a major fault, PlusNET were being advised "fix in 72 hours".  It was only when overhearing a conversation at the bus stop that I learnt that there was a major cable fault into the village.  Not until I advised PN of that fact did BTOR spill the beans to PN of the true issue.
Later BToR were still reporting to PN that the fault was outstanding some 2+ days after my service was restored.
You are right in general about on the ground BTOR staff many (most) are what you say, though I have encountered some who just cannot be bothered and their management is hopeless.  It does not help that Plusnet's interface to BTw/OR is India!
Hopefully Chris can find a PEW for you - in the meantime, this might help http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status/a_id/20669
Kevin
Edit: iPad typos corrected

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

peteruff

Thanks Kevin great feedback, appreciated
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I've had a quick search through the PEW list, though am unable to locate anything in particular on this. I'll have Chris check over my work tomorrow to be sure.
From a fault chasing procedure, I can't really give you much more info than what you received yesterday. Fingers crossed for the work, and apologies for the delay.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
peteruff

Stop press:
On the way home tonight , at least 3 openreach vans , whacking great drum of cable, and engineers preparing thier stuff,
In Bickington along main road
Humbled by the activity
KatC
Grafter

By the sound of it, this could mean they are progressing towards resolution for you. Fingers crossed!
As soon as we have further information from the suppliers our support team will keep you updated.
peteruff

got ahead of myself, no further roadside activity on the weekend.... lets see what happens