cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREDIT LIMIT - I don't understand it!!!

Vaughan

CREDIT LIMIT - I don't understand it!!!

Hello!
I've just joined Plusnet Broadband and get the Talk Evenings & Weekends package and pay by direct debit.
I've read all the available help pages but still can't understand this 'credit limit' thingy.
I assume that my inclusive calls to numbers starting 01, 02, 03, 0845 or 0870 made between 18:00-06:00 and anytime on Saturday or Sunday are free. It also appears that I get 300 minutes of calls for free (again during the evening and at weekends) to the top 20 international destinations (including US and Canada mobiles).
Therefore, is my £55 credit limit something that applies outside evenings or weekends? I'm confused - I notice that even the Talk Anytime package has a £75 credit limit!!!
Best wishes to everyone - I'm looking forward to your replies, Vaughan
13 REPLIES 13
Be3G
Grafter

Re: CREDIT LIMIT - I don't understand it!!!

Welcome to the forums Vaughan. Your credit limit applies for all chargeable calls. In other words, what the credit limits means is that you can't spend more than £55 on calls that you have to pay for in one month. Anytime has a credit limit too because one can still make many chargeable calls on Anytime – operator calls, calls to foreign mobiles, premium rate calls, the list goes on.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and if you go over 59 minutes on a call, you then pay
JonJon
Grafter

and if you go over 29 minutes for international calls..
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I think Be3g has explained it pretty well.
The easiest way I've found to explain it is to think of it as a sort of overdraft for calls.
We're currently re-writing that support page to make it easier to understand.
charlus

I too have just had a message saying I am approaching my credit limit. I am puzzled by the need for this at all. Like most customers, I imagine, I pay my broadband and phone by direct debit so, why do I need a credit limit? Why don't you just bill me every month for the charges I incur? What is the point of having a credit limit? Is it just so +Net can collect the penalty payments from those who neglect to top up their account?
Can someone from +Net explain the reason behind this ridiculous system.
coastergrotto
Grafter

@charlus:
I must say I have to agree with you.   It wasn't necessary when I was with BT, so why with Plusnet?   
mal0z
Grafter

I rather think it helps if there is a danger of running up a large bill - on premium rate or overseas calls etc.
But I agree it may be better to have a option to have it removed.
But you can top up your credit if you know you have spent a fair amount already.
charlus

Mand's response to my questionwon't do. I still want to know what is the purpose of the credit limit? Why can't PlusNet simply charge me each month for the calls I make? The credit limit is just an unnecessary and pointless complication. Please, just give me one understandable reason for having this feature.
reserved
Grafter

Quote from: charlus
Why can't PlusNet simply charge me each month for the calls I make?

My understanding is that they will.
A credit limit of £55 per month covers an awful lot of chargeable calls (over and above your inclusive evening & weekend ones) and one reason for its existence to to provide a safety net. For example if someone in your household decided to make a large number of premium rate calls (some cost up to £1 per minute I believe) then you could end up with a hefty bill at the end of the month if the credit limit wasn't in place.
Normal phone usage shouldn't take you near this limit!
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: charlus
Why can't PlusNet simply charge me each month for the calls I make?

They will do exactly that - every month you will receive an email advising of the monthly invoice and and what they will take by direct debit from the account.
Unless you make a lot of calls to mobile's 0871 numbers, or other premium numbers - or other numbers during the day you are unlikely to reach your credit limit.
The limit is there to protect you from overspending by mistake - which has happened to many people on telephone services.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

recently one PN user had racked up £240 in excess of his free limit in that month
reserved
Grafter

Won't ask what sort of calls they were making  Wink
Mand
Grafter

The credit limit has two purposes:
1) to prevent customers from running up huge bills, sometimes inadvertently (been caught out on that one myself when my teenage brother stayed with me a couple of years ago :D)
2) to protect us from fraudulent activity and large debtors (I can't remember the actual figures, but the potential risk from someone signing up and then making calls with no intention of paying was in the £thousands per day).
It's not necessary with BT generally because they credit check you when you apply for a line (and will incur some limits if the returned result warrants it, the same applies to Virgin Media but I'm not sure about other providers TBH.
We don't carry out any credit checks, and don't ask for deposits etc upfront. As such, we apply the credit limit, and will raise the limit at a customers request if necessary.