cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband/Landline stopped then came back - now friends & family can't get through

brendalmn7

Broadband/Landline stopped then came back - now friends & family can't get through

Two days ago my broadband and home phone completely stopped working, no device would connect and the home phone had no dial tone, it only lasted around 10 minutes so I didn't really think anything off it. The broadband came back working fine, but the home phone came back a mess and hasn't improved. Since this happened I have had 9 calls through with no one on the other end, and 5 calls all being wrong numbers. Not only this but family and friends can't get through to me on the home phone. I've had numerous people try and call me to test it, using both mobile and landline. It rings on their end perfectly normally but nothing happens my end, yet the wrong numbers are still getting through. Also I am still able to call out using my home phone.

If anyone has any sort of insight that would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Broadband/Landline stopped then came back - now friends & family can't get through

@brendalmn7 The only suggestion I can make, and the only one that will work, is to report a phone fault - see https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Broadband/Landline stopped then came back - now friends & family can't get through

@brendalmn7 

It's possible that your line has been inadvertently connected to the wrong number by someone working in your local cabinet. 

The first thing I'd try is call the number 17070 and listen to the message read out to you containing the number you are currently connected to.

brendalmn7

Thank you both for the swift advice! I called 17070 and the number read back to me was the same area code but definitley

not my home phone number. I'm not really sure who to contact about fixing this?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

AS I said, @brendalmn7  - run the phone troubleshooter - it should automatically raise a fault ticket. If it doesn't, call your landline provider - presumably Plusnet?

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@brendalmn7 wrote:

... I called 17070 and the number read back to me was the same area code but definitley

not my home phone number. I'm not really sure who to contact about fixing this?

@brendalmn7 

Well there's the cause of at least part of your problem (and if you call the number given in the message with your mobile it'll most likely ring your home phone!).

I guess if your phone supplier is PlusNet then you'll need to call them to get Openreach to sort it.

Annoying when something like this happens through no fault of your own.

Edit:  beaten to it by @jab1   Smiley