cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bombarded with scam phone calls all morning

Lwio
Rising Star

Bombarded with scam phone calls all morning

Sort of fifty fifty between the silent calls and robot calls. Started at 8 and still going on, adding to blocked list is useless.

I've ordered a BT call blocker phone but that won't arrive for a few days. Absolutely ****ing disgusted.

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Bombarded with scam phone calls all morning

@Lwio wrote:. Absolutely ****ing disgusted.

With whom? The BT phones that are fitted with a TrueCall call blocker are extremely effective so this should fix your problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Lwio
Rising Star

Plusnet and the telephone system in general. I've heard all the excuses about them not being able to do anything about it. I call bull on this. There is money being made somewhere and it's not being stopped. 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Until the phone systems all go VoIP, there is little that can be done on a national/international scale - it is the way the various networks connect. Nothing really to do with 'money being made' unless you count that the scammers get from those who fall for their deceit.

John
Lwio
Rising Star

How do they connect into the Phone system to make the calls?

jab1
Legend

Who?

John
Lwio
Rising Star

The scammers, I'm assuming they are mostly foreign based.

jab1
Legend

They are usually foreign yes, but they do it exactly the same as you or I - dial the access code from their country, the access code for the country they are aiming at, and then use the auto-dialler to automatically dial a range of numbers. Don't ask me how the auto -diallers work though - I don't know.

John
Lwio
Rising Star

So they get charged in their home country then for the calls. There's no charge for entering the network at this end. There must be access point/points that filters could be applied at. I'm only thinking out loud and I'm sure people have thought of this before. 

The annoyance is bad enough it's the elderly etc that get conned and frightened by the constant harassment.

jab1
Legend

In a nutshell, yes, as regards call charges. Unfortunately, the current phone system can't apply such filters - it doesn't know which calls are legitimate, and which aren't, but the technology to attempt to stop mass spamming is being developed - it just needs (AIUI) all calls to be routed over VoIP - the current analogue system can't accommodate it.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Lwio wrote:

There is money being made somewhere and it's not being stopped. 

I ask again, by whom?

It's not Plusnet. They make money from you making calls, not you receiving them. If you are on a calls package you can make as many calls as you like without being charged, this is no different for scammers. These calls are probably being transmitted (I'm assuming that you are guessing China when it could be anywhere in the Far East) over t'Internet.

The only people making money is the scammer who fools some poor victim.

I agree that these calls are distressing which is why I recommend BT TrueCall phones. I have had one of these phones for many years without one scam call getting through.

If you want to play your part stopping this your starting point is perhaps InterPol or the UN, it isn't Plusnet.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Lwio
Rising Star