cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bombarded with anon callers

steveuk
Grafter

Re: Bombarded with anon callers

All these cold calls are from so called companys who use computers do dial a list of numbers one after the other and its becoming worse over the years.
You could have a brand new number that has never been used before and still end up getting loads of dodgy calls because these computers just don't stop dialing random numbers and sooner or later we all get hit by them
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

This has been mentioned before, that as SOON as we transfer the phone to PN the calls start. PN always claim they don't sell on the number but something is fishy here.
I got so fed up with 5 a day that I purchased a CPR call blocker, now I have programmed to drop international & withheld numbers. The new rash of ppi calls are using normal numbers but a quick press of the button and it is blocked as well.
I am well pleased with the little box (had it since Aug) and it will soon have paid for itself (£40 once vs £4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Just over a year ago I moved from Sussex to Dorset. I was assigned number 01747 826464. Within a couple of days I started receiving spurious calls and faxes and couldn't understand the nature of some of the calls/faxes as they seemed to think I was a business.
I Googled the number and came up with a load of hits for an Automotive parts shop (try it - they still come up) that doesn't exist. I found the business had another shop in Shaftesbury and gave them a ring. The Gillingham shop closed several years ago but is still listed on those useless directories.
I've now moved again and got another new number and that number is dead.
Conclusion: If you get a new number it's pot luck whether it has been used before (it almost certainly will have been) and whether you get nuisance calls as a result.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

This is the 2nd time i have had my landline with PN and have not seen an increase in these types of calls, i am lucky as i only get a couple of these a year.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

I received a call yesterday from a company wanting to tell me about the government scheme for energy saving.  I asked why I had been phoned as I'm on the TPS.  The answer was that they were not selling me anything but simply passing on government info on energy saving Sad
Razer
Grafter

I'm getting three a day at the moment. They started the very day my line was connected - within a few short hours, actually.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bombarded with anon callers ..........

Same problem here, just after joining PN Landline.
Well not bombarded, but first Spam call was within an hour after landline enabled, by BT.

I think it is down to BT, having supplied a "new" number to PN, it goes on a new number list, which Is then "maybe" passed onto others.
At least, that is what I gathered soon after I joined PN landline, info from the web, not PN.

And...... the same forum posting problem, again..
I post, or modify, it doesn't show as having been posted for ages, unless I open a new tab on the same thread !!

The last 5 amendments are still LOADING !!! after 5 minutes.
Selecting new tab, same thread, shows instantly posted !!!

NedLudd
Grafter

No increase in 'spam' calls since we came over from Sky last November.
Our land line rings so infrequently we have to check that we still have a dial tone! Wink
Geoff,
York.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I came from BT, had tps with them & FREE caller ID  :-X, never had any calls. On the DAY I moved (same number) to PN I started to get these calls. It got so bad I bought the CPR device, now I might get 2 a week and a press on the button and they are blocked.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I now don't get any Spam calls, I don't use my PN landline and don't give the number out to anyone except Family.

moob
Grafter

Quote from: Ben
Hi moob, not really sure what more we can do other than state it wasn't us because we don't sell anyone's personal details and to my knowledge, never have and never will.
I can see you've signed up for TPS but was this within the last month? If so you need to give it time to filter through.
As an aside, I never received unwanted calls, for about 5 years that I had my mobile number. About a week after I made a claim on my car insurance, the calls started coming and haven't stopped since. Have you given your number out to another company recently?

Hi Ben, the number is the same as with Sky, who I was with for a year with limited disturbance. I only recently noticed I forgot to register with TPS, TPS doesn't stop the type of calls I get predominantly however, they're international.
I was told by my colleagues in Trading Standards that BT do sell numbers to external agencies, although its not widely admitted - BT own Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you get marketing Fax calls you need to also register with http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/fps/
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: moob
I was told by my colleagues in Trading Standards that BT do sell numbers to external agencies, although its not widely admitted - BT own Plusnet.

Don't think there's any secret that BT own Plusnet Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: moob
although its not widely admitted - BT own Plusnet.

Yeah, such a huge secret that they wouldn't dream of mentioning it in a recent blog post about the history of Plusnet!
http://community.plus.net/blog/2013/02/12/plusnet-hits-sweet-sixteen/
(see 2007-2010)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: PlusComUK

I think it is down to BT, having supplied a "new" number to PN, it goes on a new number list, which Is then "maybe" passed onto others.
At least, that is what I gathered soon after I joined PN landline, info from the web, not PN.

Quote from: Ben

BT would appear to be responsible.