Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bombarded with anon callers

moob
Grafter

Bombarded with anon callers

Evening folks.
I've seen similar threads on the forum about the above topic, but my issue seems related to migrating over from Sky a few weeks back.
Previously with Sky we got a few nuisance calls per week. We're now subjected to 4-5 daily. I'm registered with TPS.
I know we can get anonymous caller reject at £4pm, which I think is excessive, but would think PN could do something before I need to revert that that course of action, surely?
Would it be an idea to raise a ticket?
61 REPLIES 61
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Bombarded with anon callers

Personally if I get a cold caller these days, I humour them until I've got enough information about who they are to make a complaint. I'm with the TPS and once I have the company details they have the option to either remove me or receive an offical complaint for cold calling.
I've not had any cold calls in the last two months as far as I can remember and can count the number of cold calls in the past year on one hand.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get around TWENTY a day, and you eventually get to the point where you just don't answer the phone anymore.  Cry
It is infuriating when companies like Plusnet customer support call you with caller ID withheld expecting you to answer, when because of these other constant nuisance calls you are somehow expected to guess which is the one call you should answer when the other 139 'Caller ID' withheld calls this week have been from various foreign con artists, or an auto dialer that when you answer nobody is there !.
Angry
It is about time that it should be compulsory to send caller ID, so the receiver can CHOOSE to filter what they answer.
picbits
Rising Star

When I eventually get round to sorting out some kind of home PABX, I'll have a message for anonymous callers or callers with an unrecognised CID which will state that I'm not interested in buying anything from cold callers and by continuing to try to contact me they will be wasting their time / get reported to the TPS or similar.
Genuine callers who have agreed to my terms can then press a number to be put through while known numbers / family etc will get straight through.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why re-invent the wheel? https://www.truecall.co.uk/call-blocker.aspx
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
picbits
Rising Star

It's what us engineers do Wink
billBS16

Quote from: purleigh
I get around TWENTY a day, and you eventually get to the point where you just don't answer the phone anymore.   Cry

Funny you should say that. I had two on the first day that I had the line installed. And from that date the ringer has been turned off on the phone. As we use mobiles for everything the only reason I've got the landline is for the broadband, shame that you have to have the phone as well, or I wouldn't bother at all.
I suppose it comes in handy now and again if I have to ring an 0800 Tongue I think I've used it 4 times in 18 months Cheesy
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: BillBS16
Funny you should say that. I had two on the first day that I had the line installed. And from that date the ringer has been turned off on the phone. As we use mobiles for everything the only reason I've got the landline is for the broadband, shame that you have to have the phone as well, or I wouldn't bother at all.

Bearing in mind it would more than double our monthly call costs if we had "anytime"  Shocked we use a mixture of mobile and land-line calls (based on lower cost*) and, as most incoming calls are from land-lines, we allow others to keep costs down as they see fit Wink
* mobile PAYG per min charges less than land-line and no set-up for 01/02/03 numbers Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
moob
Grafter

Follow up from this.
I work alongside Trading Standards and I got a CPR Callblocker from them. Seems a decent piece of kit as you can program it to block certain types of calls from ' withheld ' to ' international' etc . It gets very good reviews on Amazon, and is £40 - a good investment and cheaper than renting this facility from Plusnet at £4pm.
The issue that continues to bother me is the fact this problem only occurred when I moved service to Plusnet. Are they selling my number I wonder?
James
Grafter

I can assure you that we are most certainly not "selling" your number.
moob
Grafter

Quote from: James
I can assure you that we are most certainly not "selling" your number.

Then, have you got any other explanation?
moob
Grafter

James, I see you logged off after I asked a follow up question in reply to your statement.
Would be nice to get an explanation for my family being disturbed up to 11.30pm by these calls, when it NEVER happened prior to moving my phone and broadband to Plusnet. Something a bit more in-depth than ' it wasn't us ' would suffice.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Did you bring your number across from Sky or did you get a new number?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi moob, not really sure what more we can do other than state it wasn't us because we don't sell anyone's personal details and to my knowledge, never have and never will.
I can see you've signed up for TPS but was this within the last month? If so you need to give it time to filter through.
As an aside, I never received unwanted calls, for about 5 years that I had my mobile number. About a week after I made a claim on my car insurance, the calls started coming and haven't stopped since. Have you given your number out to another company recently?
picbits
Rising Star

I'll second the car insurance quote thing - I was bombarded by calls after a couple of quotes (my own silly fault for not ticking a box though so technically not cold calls).
I did get a bit ratty with the one company who called me three times and could only offer me a quote of three times my renewal on the first time .......