cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking unwanted calls

heathertn02

Blocking unwanted calls

I'm getting a lot of unwanted calls from numbers withheld or not available. How can I block these? Angry
23 REPLIES 23
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: Blocking unwanted calls

I use a Truecall unit.
www.truecall.co.uk
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

We also offer an anonymous call rejection service for £4 per month.
Details are here if you need them: http://www.plus.net/support/phone/call_features.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I was getting a few of those calls,i bought the BT truecall & you can block who you want,highly recommend it. Smiley Grin
This is the one i bought,search around for good prices.
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobile-phones/1401522/bt-bt8500-review-the-best-call-blocker-phone-ye...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I had the "CPR  Nuisance Call Blocker" bought from Argos (now costs £42). Worked great for me.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Our Panasonic handsets have the ability to block problems numbers, but not number withheld ones.
Mark
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

There are several solutions as stated above. I bought the Truecall unit before BT started incorporating the technology in their handsets. The Truecall gives a very high degree of configurability but that is easiest done via the web interface, which costs 20 pounds per year after the first year. It can be configured via the handset, just not as easy.
The CPR unit I haven't used but it seems to get very good reviews also.
Having used a call blocker for just over a year, I don't think I could do without one now. It stops all the spam in an instant. I actually have mine set to send all withheld numbers to voicemail, so if it is something important, they can at least leave a message (just sounds like an answering machine to them).
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I've been using a CPR unit for nearly 2 years now, only issue I have with it is when the international calls started to show the number it started letting them through, but a quick press of the button and they are blocked again.
I was getting upwards of 6 spam calls a day before I installed it, now maybe 1 a WEEK.
Certainly wouldn't be without it now.
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: jockwav
{snip}This is the one i bought,search around for good prices.http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobile-phones/1401522/bt-bt8500-review-the-best-call-blocker-phone-yet

I was just about to post a new topic but came across this thread. I'm fed up with cold calls so I was looking at the BT8500 quad set. My problem was getting a definitive answer as to whether they work when phone line is provided via PlusNet.
The salesman in Tesco said that they would only work with a BT line as you needed both CLI and a subscription to an extra facility Huh  provided by BT.
They definitely work if you are not a BT customer do they? I appreciate and understand the need for CLI to be available.' 
Fifer
Grafter

The BT8500 definitely works with a Plusnet phone line with CLI.  I have been using one for almost 1  year now, a single handset and i would say it's worth every penny of the £50 cost.
I think the Tesco salesman is talking nonsense.
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that Fifer. I know they work as my daughter has a set but they are with BT. I thought he was 'winging it'  Roll_eyes
longedge
Aspiring Pro

OK - got BT8500 Quad set. When I went back to get them they were suddenly £120 and not £89.99. Couldn't get more than a shrug of the shoulders and, "Well that must be the price" out of the supervisor in Tesco so I went to Currys and bought them there at £89.99  Smiley
CLI setup requested and done within about 30minutes Kiss so plugging in next to charge up and then hopefully it's goodbye to, "We have been informed that someone in you household has been in an accident" etc.etc.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@longedge - I have the stand alone Truecall unit (got it before it was integrated into phone handsets) and it is a superb bit of kit. I think this is what is effectively integrated into the BT8500. It takes a bit of setting up, but you have a lot of flexibility in the configuration. Wouldn't be without it now.
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: jafreer
Wouldn't be without it now.

All up and running. Very easy setup. The only problem now is it's gone very quiet - think I'm missing all my callers  Wink
dragon2611
Grafter

I unplugged the phone  Tongue
I used to have it plugged in incase I wanted to dial out from the landline but someone kept calling it, Has to be spam as i've not given that number out to anyone heck I don't even know what it is myself.
Joke is my VOIP line doesn't cost much more than adding caller display would and of course I don't have to keep changing the number when I move  Grin
Although I do wonder what would happen if I called to order takeaway from it  since it would be presenting a CLI from a different area code  Undecided