Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking incoming international calls

FIXED
linduf
Dabbler

Blocking incoming international calls

Yes, that old chestnut. I've had a plague of nuisance calls recently, over 6 a day at one point, rare for my landline. I fear there is no way of blocking incoming international calls, from what I understand on the nuisance calls guide but am asking in case I've missed something. Most such calls show as international on my handset screen but then a UK style number, spoofed, no doubt.

I already:-
Am registered with the (useless) TPS for years.
Use caller display, Plusnet Call Protect
Use 1572 (only recently)
Block numbers via my handset

I don't want to block anonymous calls, as my GP and others use systems that show no number. Anything suggestons short of one of those call blocker boxes, which I'd rather not do?

The recent plague seems to give numbers that never register with the likes of Who Calls Me, as if the callers are generating a unique spoofed number for each call they make - very odd. I'm aware that every blocked call by myself or 1572 is a waste of time largely, as the incoming numbers are robo-dialled but it is all one can do. I do report to the ICO and OfCOM if I've time.

Plusnet Customer Service - can someone give my account a kick, please? I upgraded to fibre a few weeks ago, but my account is still labelled as under change. So if there is any new phone setting I could make, I can't do it yet. The fibre change was activated @9th March. Thanks very much.

6 REPLIES 6
linduf
Dabbler

Re: Blocking incoming international calls

I've managed to sort one problem, hopefully, thanks to a useful spreadsheet provided by another forum user. It gives the many options on 1572, one of which seems to be able to send international calls to 1572. I hadn't drilled down deep enough into the menus - there are many!

Silent nuisance calls persist, but are now down to 2 a day or so. Just about to report a clutch to OfCOM, hope it helps but I'm not hopeful.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@linduf wrote:

Most such calls show as international on my handset screen but then a UK style number, spoofed, no doubt.

It may help to distinguish between calls which are really from abroad, and those which only appear to be.

A true international call, which has been routed via an international gateway into the UK, will have a 'flag' in the data which is recognised by Call Protect and Caller Display. This applies whether a spoofed number purports to be international or UK.

A call originating in the UK will not carry the 'international' flag, even if the spoofed number purports to be from another country.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
linduf
Dabbler

Thank you, @198kHz . I see what you mean, these nuisance callers are so sneaky! I wish they'd put their ingenuity to work in a way that benefits the greater good instead of harassing strangers with a view to robbery.

I've no need for international incoming calls, the family I have abroad reach me by other channels these days, and any business I might use with overseas staff will have to use email or something. It has been bliss since I made that Call Protect/1572 setting yesterday, only wanted calls and no pests. It might be coincidence, but the peace is marvellous.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Thanks for your post @linduf 

I'm afraid I can't help with the nuisance calls you're having as you've already done all I'd suggest, but I've fixed the stuck product change on your account now. I've also applied your new contract and added a credit towards your next bill to cover the overcharge on your latest bill. The bill after your next one should be as we've agreed when placing your fibre order.

Let us know if there are further issues or anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
linduf
Dabbler

Thank you, @Gandalf that's great and all seems well with my new FTTC supply etc. Also thanks for adjusting my bill, it was too soon to be worried about it, I was going to wait until my April bill to see if the charges had been sorted before getting grumpy about it 😁.

As you say, there doesn't seem to be more I can do to stop 100% of nuisance calls - and "198kHz " pointed out the ways the idiots can get around some blocks. Either the calllers have moved on from my area or the blocks I have put in place are holding back the tide for now, today has been pest free - yay!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem @linduf

Fingers crossed all is well moving forward!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet